Laptops forum

General discussion

Dvd burners

by exy1e / June 15, 2004 3:13 PM PDT

Can a dvd burner also burn cds? How can you tell the difference?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dvd burners
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dvd burners
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Dvd burners
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 15, 2004 8:55 PM PDT
In reply to: Dvd burners

"Can a dvd burner also burn cds? How can you tell the difference?"

Only the old DVD-RAM drives didn't do CDR and CDRW. I'd read the box a little closer?

Bob

Collapse -
by exy1e / June 16, 2004 12:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Dvd burners

So you're saying the new dvd drives that burn dvds should also burn cds?

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 16, 2004 1:06 AM PDT

No. I wrote that the old DVD-RAM didn't record on CDR and CDRW.

One has to be careful to look at the drive in question. Another example of a DVD recorder that doesn't do CDR/W are those DVD recorders that sit on top of a TV set giving you a VCR type replacement.

Until we look at the exact model, I can only tell you that a few don't record on CDR/W. Most do, but not all.

Bob

Collapse -
by KenSanramon / June 16, 2004 10:00 AM PDT

If it is a notebook computer optical drive and it is a DVD burner than more than likely it is a combination DVD burner/CD-RW drive. This combination is also the case with a CD-RW/DVD read only drive which is present in most laptops today.

But, as Bob says, if you are looking at consumer DVD burners or some other product (not a laptop combination drive) then it may not do both functions.

But, yes, if you have a notebook with a built in DVD burner it likely is a combination drive with a CD-RW and CD-R function as well.

Back around 2000, you had to choose a DVD player (read only) or a CD-R and CD-RW drive but now at a minimum you get the CD burner and DVD player with the DVD burner an upgrade or on higher priced notebook models (over $1600.00 right now).

Collapse -
by exy1e / June 16, 2004 10:26 AM PDT

I see, so the burners on the fujitsu s series should burn both dvds and cds?

Collapse -
by KenSanramon / June 17, 2004 5:59 AM PDT

If the drive is identified as a DVD +R or DVD -R (some or both but most are one or the other) then it should also be a combination unit which also is a CD burner.

If the drive is identified as a CD-RW/DVD drive that means it is a DVD drive only for read only (playing movies and reading data)

Collapse -
New view on DVD-RAM
by pgoodma / August 5, 2005 1:13 PM PDT

Hi All;
I have a problem with my DVD-RAM in a new Toshiba Satellite A75-S231. It is advertised as being compatible with most all varieties of CD, CD-RW, DVD (most all formats) in varying ranges and is double layer compatible. The model number of the drive is Matsushit(Panasonic)UJ-8205.

I happily thought I was going to start burning any variety of discs with no problem but this turns out NOT to be the case. I will admit though I have a lot of experience with computers in general; I have never ventured into the DVD recording area, and have never used a DVD-RAM drive.

It turns out that Toshiba bundles the Sonic recording software and one of the components of that software is Sonic DLA. Sonic DLA is supposed to recognize the type of disc in the DVD-RAM and evidently that disc needs to be formatted to use it.

Without a paid upgrade the bundled version of Sonic DLA will not recognize a one time recordable disc (DVD OR CD-R), but it will recognize re-writable discs of both formats. The read me file also states that if you have Nero Butrning ROM or Easy CD Creator software installed that Sonic will not recognize the blank disc in the drive. So for the short term all the recordable discs I purchased were dead in the water as the computer would not recognize them as readable!

A call to Toshiba tech support took me to second level support where I received less than good advice. The second level tech told me that I had to uninstall Nero (or anyother third party software conflicting with Sonic) and then he told me to uninstall Sonic itself and re-install the Nero or whatever I had. They would offer NO support for anyother software other than Sonic.

After uninstalling Sonic (including the DLA) I found that I had NO way to format the discs I put in the drive! Ihad to re-install Sonic DLA to get that capability. Bottom line is that I am doing my homework on DVD-RAM drives and alternative software drivers for packet writing. I don't want to format a bunch of discs then re-install the BETTER DVD writing software I own to write CD/DVD's.

Des anyone know of an alternative software to Sonic that will support formatting discs with this drive so that I can use the burning software of my choice?

Collapse -
Matshita (Panasonic) DVD\CD drive
by belwayne / August 26, 2005 2:38 PM PDT
In reply to: New view on DVD-RAM

I bought a multiple format drive (MATSHITA SW9585) for my desktop to enable me to use my DVD-RAM discs recorded on my Panasonic DMR-ES30V recorder. The recorder uses software that negates my being able to read the discs on my computer but Nero is able to format the DVD-RAM discs and write to them.

Collapse -
same problem with my Toshiba P100
by vv2006 / August 23, 2006 2:21 AM PDT

Hi I received my new Toshiba Satellite P100 yesterday and have been going crazy trying to test the DVD-RAM drive - can't find a way to format...thanks for the post anyway.

Collapse -
resolution of problem with DVD-R of Toshiba Satellite laptop
by vv2006 / August 23, 2006 12:02 PM PDT

After some anxious hours , managed to get my DVD RAM drive working. The 'basis' DLA (from Sonic) provided with my new Satellite P100 didn't format the DVD-R - I purchased an upgraded DLA from Sonic. initially my laptop DVD RAM drive wasn't recognised - tried with an external DVD drive that I attached to my laptop and the new DLA was able to recognize and format the DVD-R disc in that drive. After this, on my second attempt, the laptop drive also started working. Toshiba should have provided a DLA that can format discs as part of the laptop.

Collapse -
What I'm seeing is the passing of DVD-R as to formatting.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 23, 2006 10:25 PM PDT

Both DVD-R and DVR+R as to DLA or access as a big floppy is passing away. Don't count on it in the years to come.

Start migrating to DVD-R/W and DVD+R/W.

Bob

Collapse -
Matshita drive...
by fgarcias000 / December 20, 2007 6:43 PM PST

I have a Toshiba A70 which drive is a "Matshita DVD-RAM UJ 8205". It is suposed to be a multiformat recorder and reader but it only recognize DVD+R as well as any CDR and CDRW discs. I had to take it to the local Toshiba Technical people and they told me that the drive is multiformat but it cannot see any DVD-R disc. I would like to start using DVDRam dsics but I dont see the way... any help??

Collapse -
How old is that drive?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 20, 2007 11:42 PM PST
In reply to: Matshita drive...

It could be over 3 years old. It's firmware is likely to be out of date so I'd start by cleaning the lens, retesting with another make media then update the firmware and test again with different make medias.

Some won't do that so it's game over and we replace the drive.

Bob

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) you can check to see if it says CD-RW on ur drive
by saurabhs / August 6, 2005 3:00 PM PDT
Collapse -
DVD formats
by fgarcias000 / December 29, 2007 5:18 PM PST

Yes it says RW in the drive front. I guess this is a problem of drivers or somthing like that...

Thank you for your help

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.