Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

DVD BURNER SPEED PROBLEM ...

by pepperkay / January 3, 2007 11:47 PM PST

Hi All:

I've contacted HP Tech Support with a burner problem ...

They told me to determine if the deviice is listed in Device Manager - it is ...

They told me to 'decrease the writer's burner speed' ... however, they didn't tell me how to do so ...

Suggestions ?? ...

Thanks,

Pepper
Garland, TX

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DVD BURNER SPEED PROBLEM ...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DVD BURNER SPEED PROBLEM ...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I can't help either. Here's why.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 3, 2007 11:56 PM PST

Such speed is usually adjusted in the application that I use to record with. Since no application is noted, I'm stumped.

Bob

Collapse -
DVD BURNER SPEED PROBLEM ... REPLY
by pepperkay / January 4, 2007 12:07 AM PST

I'm using the HP installed RecordNow burner software ... each time I select BURN from the RecordNow window, my burner drive comes back with the message to 'Put in a blank DVD disk' ...

Of course, I already have done so but do it again and again and, etc. ... I've tried several blank disks, from different makers of same, all new and right out of the package and all produce the same results ...

Since I cna't get past that point, I have no way of reducing the burner speed via the RecordNow program ...

HP told me it can be done through the Device Manager but I see no way of so doing ...

Thanks,

pepper

Collapse -
Remember we are talking about record speed, not something
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 4, 2007 12:22 AM PST

Else.

Near some options in an upper right window, there are number of copies required and the record speed. I don't see an online manual to the RecordNow software so I'll have to use just words.

If you want help with your DVD drive then I wish you had asked that instead. My answer is to swap out the drive and retest. It's the cheap exit we use in the shop since the drives are in the 30 to 50 buck range and have such a short lifespan. Anything over 1 year is suspect.

"HP told me it can be done through the Device Manager but I see no way of so doing ..."

Bad advice. Toss it and move on.

Bob

Collapse -
DVD BURNER SPEED and MORE ...
by pepperkay / January 4, 2007 1:47 AM PST

I guess I have two issues here ...

Is the DVD burner even working ? ~ how to adjust the burner speed ? ...

I'm guessing the answer to the first question is NO - the burner drive apparently is not working ... it will not burn and will not play ...

Each time I put a disk in it, either blank or formatted, I get the message to 'put a blank disk in Drive E' ... guess that means it's not working ...

As the drive is not working, than the burn speed question becomes moot ...

S'pose I'll have to take it to the computer hospital at CompUSA and swap out the drive ...

If anyone has further suggestions, I'd sure like to read them ...

Thanks again,

pepper

PS BTW and FYI, the unit is an HP a1030n ...

Collapse -
That's a bad sign.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 4, 2007 1:56 AM PST

If the drive won't read some commercial media (silver disks with good content) then I toss in the CD/DVD lens cleaner just to be sure.

THIS IS NEW INFORMATION. In the future put this in your top post to avoid multiple replies with varied responses.

Also, I'd dive into the registry and remove the upper and lower filters. Which? This article -> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

Sorry, no I do not have an article specific to your issue. I use this article to show the steps and places of what I remove, not that it's title applies to your issue.

Armed with your new input I suggest.

1. CD/DVD lens cleaner.
Forget any naysayer that writes it's bad for the drive. The drive is dead. We can use any tool now.
2. Upper and lower filters in the registy.
3. Swap the drive.

Swapping the drive is all of one jumper and a philips screwdriver. Only a little harder than light bulb changes and easier than my car's headlamp change. Still have a bandaid from that one.

Bob

Collapse -
Info from google about RecordNow
by DarCLew2 / January 4, 2007 4:00 AM PST
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=RecordNow&btnG=Google+Search
Also, have you used it at all? If it is a desktop PC and there are gray cables, you might want to check back for the Jumper. IE have CD\DVD-ROM as the master and my Burner is the slave. And, if it dead, the light will lite up, when the burner is dead. I have a new one but I may have gotten in cheaper for it was from Gateway. It is a Memorex 16X CD\DVD+\-RW and more. Came with PowerDVD. July 3, 06 Total Cost was $53.77
About the same info as Bob's as a replacement. Darrell
Collapse -
Couple of LINKS
by DarCLew2 / January 4, 2007 12:11 AM PST

VLC Media Player 0.8.6a
VLC (initially VideoLAN Client) is a highly portable multimedia player for various audio and video formats (MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DivX, mp3, ogg...) as well as DVDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols. It can also be used as a server to stream in unicast or multicast in IPv4 or IPv6 on a high-bandwidth network.
This one is free from: http://www.filehippo.com/download_vlc/ If you find an older version of NERO 6 Ultra it would also do the same, but you have to pay for it. Darrell L.

Collapse -
Or even better
by jackson dougless / January 4, 2007 12:20 AM PST
In reply to: Couple of LINKS

You can get VLC Player 0.8.7 direct from the VLC website. http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

No having to wait for download sites to update their collections to the latest version.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?