HolidayBuyer's Guide

Peripherals forum

General discussion

DVD burner question

by chafer444 / October 8, 2009 11:05 AM PDT

I bought a LiteOn DVD burner last month and I noticed a couple of things and wanted to know if this is normal. I heard something rattling around inside and the tray seemed loose, like it was only attached on one side. I sent it back and got another drive from a local store, it was the same way. I contacted LiteOn both times and the second time was told the noise is from the ball bearings and the looseness on one side is because there are only gears on one side of the tray to open it. Are most drives made today like this? Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DVD burner question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DVD burner question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This is for laptop or desktop?
by ahtoi / October 8, 2009 4:14 PM PDT
In reply to: DVD burner question

If it's for desktop, then remind me NEVER to get a Liteon.

Collapse -
It's a desktop,
by chafer444 / October 8, 2009 7:14 PM PDT

but the reviews I read on newegg were very positive.

Collapse -
You may ask this until
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 8, 2009 8:36 PM PDT
In reply to: DVD burner question

You disassemble a few CD/DVD drives. There are a few parts that "float" in captivity and will produce a rattle sound. Since that rattle is normal I'll stop here that you may want to find a dead drive (any model should do) and dissect it to see how it works.
Bob

Collapse -
You are not kidding, right?
by ahtoi / October 9, 2009 2:29 AM PDT
In reply to: You may ask this until

Over the years, I had/have at least 10 drives and I have never heard of such rattles. Am I just lucky or what, hehe.

Collapse -
This is what I've learned today.
by chafer444 / October 9, 2009 6:44 AM PDT

I spoke to a tech person at my job and another person who owns a photo/video business who has to use computers a lot. I described the situation and asked is this normal for a drive that can be bought today? The answer I got was...yes, unfortunately they do seem to be making things cheaper today.

Collapse -
Look at the prices.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 9, 2009 11:13 AM PDT

I paid 25 bucks for a DVDRW with Lightscribe. It has the rattle but works fine. It does not rattle when powered up and has a DVD in it.

My HP 55 buck drive has no rattle but was it worth more? (not really.)
Bob

Collapse -
So far
by chafer444 / October 9, 2009 1:04 PM PDT
In reply to: Look at the prices.

it doesn't rattle when it's being used, but I'm glad I've got a one year warranty just the same.

Collapse -
One other noise question
by chafer444 / October 16, 2009 8:31 PM PDT

I noticed when the computer is just turned on or comes out of stand by the DVD drive makes a little noise (hard to describe it). I was wondering is this also normal? My old CD drive didn't do that so I was curious.

Collapse -
The man behind the curtain noise?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 17, 2009 4:23 AM PDT

Coming out of sleep Windows may seek the drive to see if the media was changed. Sounds fine to me.

Collapse -
OK, thanks
by chafer444 / October 17, 2009 4:39 AM PDT

it was just something different I noticed with the new drive and didn't know if it was anything to be concerned about. I have another issue that has just come up with a DVD I burned earlier this week. I posted this on another part of the forum but haven't gotten a reply yet and I wanted to run it by you. Earlier this week I used Nero 7 to make a data DVD of some old photos so I'd have a backup. I forgot to include one folder so I tried to add it today. When I did, the disc content box shows it as the only folder on the disc. Yet, the amount of space used on the disc is a total of all that I transferred. When I did the first burn I made sure I'd be able to add more to the disc. Just wondering if I messed it up and will have to start over.

Collapse -
You get used to the changes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 17, 2009 4:51 AM PDT
In reply to: OK, thanks

Replace a fan. New sound.
Replace a hard drive with a faster one. Wow, marbles in a can or is the faster speed making more noise?
Change a connection and the owners ask why it feels different from the old (broken) connector.

This goes on and on and is all part of how one machine is rarely like the next one.
Bob

Collapse -
pay no attention to Bob
by jonah jones / October 16, 2009 8:57 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.