TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

DVD Burner or DVD Recorder

by mikay / January 29, 2004 2:26 AM PST

I'm interested in buying one of these devices. I just bought a Samsung SIR-S4040R DirecTv/Tivo and would like to archive shows on DVD instead of VHS. Is this possible?

I also want to edit home movies from my Canon Optura20 miniDV camera and then lay them on to DVD.

Lastly, I want to be able to burn CDs.

My Tivo box has USB ports so, I would think it wouldn't be a big deal to hook it up to my G4 and burn movies right to a burner. Am I right? If that's the case than a burner would seem more logical as it would already be there for burning home moives to DVD after an edit.

I don't want to buy a device that isn't progressive scan as it seems like a waste of money (Someday I'll own an HDTV.) And, wonder if anyone currently offers a way to lay audio down in 5.1.

Anyone knowledgeable in this area?

Anyone know of a site that summarizes the differences, advantages and cons of both?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DVD Burner or DVD Recorder
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DVD Burner or DVD Recorder
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:DVD Burner or DVD Recorder
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 29, 2004 2:37 AM PST

"I'm interested in buying one of these devices. I just bought a Samsung SIR-S4040R DirecTv/Tivo and would like to archive shows on DVD instead of VHS. Is this possible?"

Yes, but many complain of the time involved, effort and resulting quality. I'm tossing out that you can expect to spend 5 (or more) hours to put 1 hour of video onto DVD-R/W or such with a PC.

"I also want to edit home movies from my Canon Optura20 miniDV camera and then lay them on to DVD."

This is a good idea.

"Lastly, I want to be able to burn CDs."

It will record CD-R and CD-R/W media too.

"My Tivo box has USB ports so, I would think it wouldn't be a big deal to hook it up to my G4 and burn movies right to a burner. Am I right?"

No.

"If that's the case than a burner would seem more logical as it would already be there for burning home moives to DVD after an edit."

Whoopsie, you have a Mac. If the Mac is the interface point, you get the Mac solutions.

"I don't want to buy a device that isn't progressive scan as it seems like a waste of money (Someday I'll own an HDTV.) And, wonder if anyone currently offers a way to lay audio down in 5.1."

Nothing for you today at prices you want to pay.

"Anyone knowledgeable in this area?"

Sure, but you may be less than happy with costs given what you wrote. A simple DVD recorder would have done most of what people want. You padded it a bit with wanting some 5.1 audio and control over progressive scan. That likely moves you from the 3 digit price tag to 4 or 5 digits. Amazing, isn't it?

"Anyone know of a site that summarizes the differences, advantages and cons of both?"

Both of what? Sorry, it's a long post and there's much to cover. I don't see a Mac specific site other than Apple.com

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:DVD Burner or DVD Recorder
by mikay / January 29, 2004 3:14 AM PST

Thanks Bob,

Holy poop. 5 hours to transfer from Tivo to DVD? How is it that a DVD recorder can record directly from the TV and not from Tivo? That's a complete drag. I want to toss my VCR soooo badly. As it is it sits in a closet, connected to my Tivo with two 20'composite cables neatly tucked against the baseboard molding.

I was wondering what the advantage of a DVD recorder would be over a DVD burner. Burners seem to be much less expensive and, offer more format options. Plus, it's already there for the video camera. A recorder, on the other hand, is right there for recording pay-per-view movies and other TV stuff.

As I have DirecTv, I'm not interested in a Pioneer DVR-810H. If it was a DirecTv tuner, I wouldn't hesitate.

I guess progressive scan gets tossed out as there is no way I'm paying more than $600 for this device.

Collapse -
That's what we get for putting our computer into the mix. There are ...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 29, 2004 4:13 AM PST

Simpler DVD set-top recorders but your post noted items about 5.1 sound, progressive scan and a camcorder. This is why I immediately noted that nothing cheap and easy exists. It's not that it can't, it's that the industry is deathly afraid you'll pop that movie you Tivo'd onto a super high quality progressive scan 5.1 sound encoded DVD and walk out of your house with it.

Not that you would, but they don't want to give us the equivilent of what would be the WMD for the DVD/Film/All industry.

If you just want a nice, easy to use DVD recorder that works like a VCR, but is on DVD, then you have a few choices and most are under 400 bucks.

My first stop would be Wal-mart (no, not selling walls today...) And see what models they have. Then back home to compare those models with HP's DVD recorder and then check out how much it would be to add a DVD recorder to you Mac.

In closing (just this response) I don't expect any of them to include a DirecTv tuner. The market is small enough already and the issues of phone lines, smart cards and more just escalate into a product you'll never see. I hope you understand why.

Bob

Collapse -
Bob, a couple more (please).

If I buy a DVD recorder can I record Tivo'd television programs? You stated earlier that if I ran it through my G4 it would take hours. Is the same true if I make a direct connection from Tivo to DVD recorder? I just want to make DVDs of my kids favorite shows for grandma's house. Sorry if, I'm being dense here.

Secondly, can my G4 be hooked directly to a recorder to burn edited digital family movies? Or would I have to edit, record back to mini Dv, then burn? If that's the case, would loss of quality from generation to generation make it better to just keep it on mini DV?

Thanks!

Mike

Collapse -
Re:Bob, a couple more (please).
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 29, 2004 5:30 AM PST

"If I buy a DVD recorder can I record Tivo'd television programs? You stated earlier that if I ran it through my G4 it would take hours. Is the same true if I make a direct connection from Tivo to DVD recorder? I just want to make DVDs of my kids favorite shows for grandma's house. Sorry if, I'm being dense here."

In theory, a DVD set-top recorder will record just like a VCR. The only issue can crop up is if you currently can't record the Tivo output on your VCR. This would be a sign that the Tivo analog output is copy protected.

"Secondly, can my G4 be hooked directly to a recorder to burn edited digital family movies?"

I am unaware of what model recorder plus don't know if your G4 can output NTSC analog video for some set-top DVD recorder to record from. Details, details...

"Or would I have to edit, record back to mini Dv, then burn?"

In my case, I skip the "back to mini-Dv" step and just tell the PC to burn the final edited DVD. Again, details about your G4 are missing, but adding a DVD-Recorder can be done. Note this find at http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-7592-0.html?forumID=25&threadID=7873&messageID=91972

"If that's the case, would loss of quality from generation to generation make it better to just keep it on mini DV?"
Or skip the analog steps and add a DVD recorder to the Mac.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks Bob!
by mikay / January 29, 2004 6:16 AM PST

Thanks for all of your quick follow up. I guess it's a jack-of-all-trades type deal. I'll end up with a burner for the G4 and a recorder.

Any thoughts on format? DVD+RW, DVD+R or DVD-R?

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 29, 2004 8:26 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks Bob!

The noted Pioneer supports ALL those formats plus CD-R, CD-R/W, DVD-R/W and maybe ever DVD-RAM.

The final selection of media will be driven by:

1. What works in what DVD players you have (Mine seem to prefer DVD-R and I've used both DVD+R/W and DVD-R/W for test runs.)
2. The price of the media.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks Bob!
by mikay / January 29, 2004 7:04 AM PST

Thanks for all of your quick follow up. I guess it's a jack-of-all-trades type deal. I'll end up with a burner for the G4 and a recorder.

Collapse -
Re:Thanks Bob!
by Xsive / April 16, 2004 12:17 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks Bob!

Whatever you do, DONT get the Sony 510 as it is supposed to work with everything, but works with nothing, this DVD-RW,DVD+RW,DVD-R,DVD-RW is a piece of crapola!

Collapse -
Re:Re:DVD Burner or DVD Recorder
by Xsive / April 16, 2004 12:09 PM PDT

The pioneer Tivo has a 80hr hdd and burns 4.7gb onto DVD-RW or DVD-Rs

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

BEST LIST

Find the best hybrids on the market!

Hybrid technology can be applied to any type of car, and the best show the most significant fuel economy improvements over a similar gasoline-only car.