Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

DVD burner not recognised

by MO FO / April 8, 2007 10:05 AM PDT

I don't know exactly how long ago this started but my Freecom Classic DVD+/-RW is no longer recognised by my computer.I haven't used it for about a week since I burned some stuff from a mini DV. I haven't noticed any other problems but when I went to use it today the first thing was that it wouldn't open and then I couldn't even see it listed in the device manager or under my computer.

This is a dell dimension 2400 running XP home.

I have tried running system restore, in fact I've tried it about a dozen times from different restore points but it never works and each time I'm just told to choose another restore point.I haven't installed or updated any new software, visited any dodgy sites or downloaded anything I shouldn't have. I've run full virus scans with AVG and run Spybot , there's nothing unpleasant lurking so I'm completely mystified.

And, yes, all the leads are where they should be.I've checked them, tried using a different usb port tried disconnecting and reconnecting .Please help, I'm clueless.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DVD burner not recognised
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DVD burner not recognised
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Usb can suddenly go haywire,
by retired / April 8, 2007 10:34 AM PDT

About the only thing I can offer is try the drive on another machine if possible or use the device manager in safe mode to remove all the entries listed under USB or this web site.

http://www.earthtym.net/USB-solutions.htm

Collapse -
tried that
by MO FO / April 8, 2007 10:03 PM PDT

I tried using it with my laptop and although when I plugged in it seemed to detect new hardware it didn't show up in device manager or under my computer. I've concluded the unit must have just given up and died and having just done a little research into what's available I realise now it was a cheap bit of junk anyway.Come to think of it it was never particularly reliable so this time I'll shop around a bit more and try to resist just opting for the cheapest available.

Collapse -
I also had the same problem with my usb ports
by maria Morris / April 28, 2007 4:10 AM PDT
In reply to: tried that

I went into staples and ask one of the salesmen and he told me to go into my device manger and update the usb (sorry I don't know what to call them ) but it was a long list of them and I updated everything and it worked for me. Good Luck

Collapse -
this might help
by mattgnz / April 10, 2007 9:36 AM PDT

hey bro i had the same problem a week ago all you have to do is go to your device manager find the drive and delete the driver then reinsatll the driver dont restart after deleting the driver just do it all at once

Collapse -
thanks but.....
by MO FO / April 10, 2007 9:45 AM PDT
In reply to: this might help

part of the problem is that it no longer shows up in device manager.I tried it on two different computers and it doesn't show up on either of them so it seems its the unit that's the problem not the computer.I decided to get a new one instead, LaCie LightScribe FW & USB2, double layer DVD.RW multiformat drive.Ordered it online and it should arrive tomorrow.Can't wait.

Collapse -
USB Port
by robertofl / April 20, 2007 2:40 PM PDT

Microsoft has a hot fix for the USB ports. If your DVD burner is an external usb drive the problem could be the port it self not the burner. Go to Microsoft updated and search usb drivers hot fix. Then try your burner. If it's an internal burner look in Bios, see what the settings are for booting up. If you have a floppy then it should be first then the DVD burner then hard drive. http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=918005 This should be the link to the hot fix for USB Ports

Collapse -
but
by MO FO / April 20, 2007 6:15 PM PDT
In reply to: USB Port

it was difinitely the burner as i tried it on a different computer, I also tried swapping ports around with other devices.

I have a new burner now, as mentioned above, it works like a dream.

Collapse -
I had the same problem with my computer
by maria Morris / April 28, 2007 4:02 AM PDT

I had the same problem with my sony vaio and I took it to someone who opened up my computer and found that my hardware was lose and just tighen everything up and it works great for me now. so if I was you I would try it to see if it helps your computer work better. Good Luck and let me know if it works.

Collapse -
well.........................
by MO FO / April 28, 2007 7:56 AM PDT

......it's like I said,(twice?) I tried the burner on another computer and it didn't work.My USB ports are fine, I've tried swapping all the USB devices around.

I've bought a new burner, it works fine

Thanks.

Sometimes things just stop working and they can't be fixed.

Collapse -
Dust bunnies in CPU?
by critterskcb / April 30, 2007 10:00 AM PDT

I have had this problem twice. Both times, I opened up my CPU. When I vacuumed out the dust bunnies, the drives were recognized and usable. I recommend cleaning out the inside of the CPU at least once a year (especially if you have pets!)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.