PC Hardware forum

General discussion

DVD Burner in Dell XPS 400

by lizzzi / September 13, 2007 1:55 AM PDT

Recently I inserted a blank DVD-R disk into my burner so I could record to it. I have had the system 2 years with no problems whatsoever. Now it either won't recognize the drive or says "insert disk". Strangely enough, the drive identification says DVD-RW drive until the disk is inserted, then the ID states CD-ROM drive. When inserting disks with commercial movies or data on them, they play fine. Although movies made with another computer are not recognized. I've tried several disks made by different manufacturers and none of them are recognized as DVDs.

According to my paperwork from Dell and my system information, my DVD writer is a HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GWA4164B. My OS is Windows XP 2.

I purchased a MADDOG DVD writer recently (when my other writer started the error messages) and am getting the same message from it when inserting blank disks. I am in contact with support from Maddog.

Does anyone know what the problem could be? Is it my computer?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer.

lizzi

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DVD Burner in Dell XPS 400
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DVD Burner in Dell XPS 400
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just an issue...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 13, 2007 11:32 PM PDT

Worth knowing about. Some CD.DVD recording software is locked to a make/model drive so if you replace the drive, it doesn't fix the problem.

This is why I install CDBURNERXP to see if it works with the drive so I know if I have a failed drive issue.

Bob

Collapse -
DVD_RW changes to CD_ROM when blank disk inserted
by normak7105 / April 10, 2008 5:46 AM PDT

I have the same problem. When I insert a blank disk in the DVD_RW drive it changes to a CD_ROM. When the disk is removed it changes back to a DVD_RW. I have even used an external DVD_RW drive and the same thing happened. I have removed the driver and reinstalled it. I have checked my BIOS and it is listed as a DVD_RW.

Did you ever get a solution to your problem?

Collapse -
ok let me guess
by justchuck69-21962546924465921271597618696873 / April 11, 2008 12:06 PM PDT

i bet someone installed a cd or dvd burning app and then un installed it . . . you will need to clear the upper and lower filters
you did not state what operating system you are running but here are two links from microsoft and 1 is for win xp and 1 is for vista ( there is one for win 2000 to but i did not find it tonight
remember to always back up your registry first before doing this and one or the other links will tell you how to do that
vista = http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461

win xp = http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

should not take to long and after you do this the operating system will reinstall the driver for the drives

Collapse -
DVD_RW changes to CD_ROM
by normak7105 / April 12, 2008 7:27 AM PDT
In reply to: ok let me guess

I built this computer around the first of the year. It has an Intel Essential Series Motherboard, and Intel Core 2 Duo Processer and 2Gig of Ram. The DV_RW is a Nec DVD_RW ND 2500a. I have deleted the driver and reinstalled it, even downloading a new driver from their web site. I have deleted the upper and lower filters from the registry.

I have ran the system File Checker by clicking Start>> Run >> Typed cmd and this opened a command prompt window then typed sfc /scannow and it ask me to put the XP professionl disk in and it ran a scan. Did not help.

I connected an external DVD_RW drive through the USB port and the same thing happened. I can watch it in MY Computer. It shows a DVD_RW drive until a writable disk is put in the drive and it changes to CD_ROM. I then get the message that a blank disk is in the drive and I cannot write to it. When the disk is removed it changes back to DVD_RW. I was going to get a new DVD_RW drive until I had the same problem with the external drive.

I am starting to think that the DVD_RW drivers did not get loaded on the system when the Motherboard was installed. I have misplaced the disk that came with the motherboard so yesterday I ordered a new one and am going to try installing the drivers again.

Someone suggested that I flash the BIOS, I have not done that yet. I have never flashed the BIOS and am not sure if I want to try that yet.

Any suggestions?

Collapse -
It's not the BIOS.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 12, 2008 7:38 AM PDT

It could be a failed drive or the software that added that dvd as a floppy support.

1. There is no such thing as a DVDRW "driver."
2. There are softwares such as Roxio's DirectCD and Nero's INCD. Try removing and reinstalling those.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!