PC Hardware forum

General discussion

DVD Burner doesn't sense installed disc

by hcvan / March 24, 2007 3:41 AM PDT

I have a HP dvd writer which is external and a combo drive inside, when I put a blank dvd into the external drive it doesnt acknowledge it, it does accept cd. I have used Sony, HP and Maxell DVD+r. The question is whether the drive is bad or something else, I have reloaded the drivers to no avail. Herb

Compaq Presario S4100NX
2.5 Ghz Intel Celeron processor
768 MB DDR SDRAM memory
80 GB Ultra DMA hard drive
CD-RW/DVD-ROM combo drive
48x24x16v48 max speed
160 GB Western Digital External Hard Drive
MAG Innovision 19' Flat Panel
HP DVD Movie Writer DC4000
HP K550 Printer
Visioneer One Touch 9320 Scanner
QL500 Brothers Label Printer

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DVD Burner doesn't sense installed disc
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DVD Burner doesn't sense installed disc
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What "drivers"?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 24, 2007 3:47 AM PDT

I have external USB connected DVD recorders and NO DRIVERS were required for me to use them in Windows 2000 or XP. However I did need to install SOFTWARE to record to DVD.

In closing I will share a repeating issue and that is if you have 'any' CD recording software installed that came with the machine or a drive it is proper for it to screw up and not work and interfere with the new recorder. Not that this helps but you don't want to know how many times I have to toss out the bundled recording software and install Nero, CDBURNERXP or whatever the owner wants to use.

Bob

Collapse -
by hcvan / March 24, 2007 6:02 AM PDT
In reply to: What "drivers"?

I meant I reinstalled the program that came with the drive. I have Nero 7 ultra and Sonic Record Now loaded on the machine and have been using them both for at least six months

Collapse -
Then a test.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 24, 2007 6:17 AM PDT

Uninstall those, remove the UPPERFILTERS, LOWERFILTERS noted in http://www.cdr-zone.com/forum/about4719.html and let's test if CDBURNERXP (it won't install any 'resident' filter or driver) and then see if CDBURNERXP can read the media information.

Another user installed a virtual CD/DVD drive but that's not in your posts so I'll skip that for now.

Bob

Collapse -
by hcvan / March 24, 2007 8:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Then a test.

Removed Nero and Sonic and the filters, Still won't read a DVD, It always read CD's but not DVD's Herb

Collapse -
"DVD Burner doesn't sense installed disc" is not...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 24, 2007 9:00 AM PDT

The same issue as "won't read a DVD". To read a DVD such as a video DVD we need some other software. Sorry that I appear to slice it so finely but there is a slight difference between these items.

The test I was going for was with CDBURNERXP, either a blank DVDR/W or a DVD you recorded and then click the media information button.

Write more about the DVD and the AGE of the drive.

Bob

Collapse -
by hcvan / March 24, 2007 10:42 AM PDT

I purchased it about 1 1/2 years ago, and have burnt probably 400 disc. Never had a problem until this time. I was burning a data DVD on Nero and my grandson pulled my jump drive from the USB port while it was burning ( I was not burning anything from that drive but it aborted and then when I went to use it today it wouldn't read a blank DVd+r I tried a new Maxell, an new Sony and a new HP disc. Then I tried to watch a prerecorded DVD and I kept getting a message saying that there was no disc in drive. I tried to burn a Audio CD and it worked fine. I don't mind buying a new drive but I would like to know if there is something on the computer that will prevent a new drive from working.

Herb

Collapse -
Tell me how the test fairs.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 24, 2007 11:04 AM PDT

There is another test I use but you need a bootable DVD such as the Knoppix DVD or other Linux on DVD. That's a lot more work.

-> To play and 'sense' DVDs we have to use some DVD player software. Nero doesn't do that and I reread your post and don't find the player software noted. Try the CDBURNERXP test and tell what DVD player software you have.

--> Also ANY CD/DVD emulator software is something you would have to share. It may be the cause.

Bob

Collapse -
by hcvan / March 24, 2007 10:04 PM PDT

I reloaded the installation disc, got the same results. Doesn't recognize DVD's but does recognize CD's I don't understand what the CDBURNERXP test is. What do you mean CD/DVD emulator software
Thank You
Herb

Collapse -
This is all volunteer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 25, 2007 4:00 AM PDT

Just so you know what to do when you hit a word or term you don't understand, type it into google.com. CDBURNERXP there and you would save back and forths and maybe not wear out those that would like to help you along.

This is not tech support and you get to get out and push along with us as we work your issue.

-> I think we did uncover one clue. You can't name the software you use to play Video DVDs. Try to find that.

Bob

Collapse -
This is all volunteer.
by hcvan / March 25, 2007 7:51 AM PDT
In reply to: This is all volunteer.

If I offended you in any way I am truly sorry, you have been lots of help in the past and I appreciate it.

I view the DVD's on Windows Media Player or Power DVD (the program that came with the HP DC4000)

I emailed HP and they said that since it works with CDs but not DVDs that is probably a sensor in the unit, does this sound logical?

Thank You Very Much
Herb

Collapse -
Could be but I have a test I use and await...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 25, 2007 8:10 AM PDT
In reply to: This is all volunteer.

Your results. Good to hear you have Power DVD. A common issue with it is something will become "unregistered." The way I fix that is to uninstall then reinstall Power DVD.

-> Again, there is that issue with CD or DVD EMULATORS but you have yet to write there are none. Please answer so I don't get that nagging feeling about that issue. There are too many titles such as Deamon Tools, Alcohol 120% and others so I have to ask you if you know if such was installed.

Bob

Collapse -
Could be but I have a test I use and await
by hcvan / March 25, 2007 10:25 AM PDT

I reinstalled Power DVD still doesn't work

I Googled DVD Emulator and in several pages I found nothing that is on my computer. There was a copy of DVD fab decrypter, if that is an emulator. I have removed it as I don't need it any more.

Herb

Collapse -
Recap.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 25, 2007 10:32 AM PDT

1. DVD fab decrypter

It's not something fatal but can remove autoplay features and cause people grief.

2. CDBURNERXP test.

Not performed so I'll wait for the test results.

3. NEW IDEA. Autofix.

Armed with the DVD fab decrypter clue, I'm going to recommend Autofix. Just to save you looking for it on Google, here's the link:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c680a7b6-e8fa-45c4-a171-1b389cfacdad&DisplayLang=en

Here's a discussion where it cured autoplay issues.
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6142_102-0.html?forumID=5&threadID=24356&messageID=267099#267099

Sorry to not know if this will fix it but I don't have my test results.

Bob

Collapse -
Recap.
by hcvan / March 25, 2007 11:05 PM PDT
In reply to: Recap.

I was getting way over my head in understanding what to do so I took the cowards way out and purchased a new computer this morning.

Thanks for the Help

Herb

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.