Computer Help forum

General discussion

DVD burner - Dell computer - can I mix hardware?

by dibrannan / November 18, 2005 8:44 PM PST

In 2004 I purchased a Dell Dimension 4600, 45 Intel Pentium 4. 2.80Ghz, 533 fsb and 512KB cache. 80Gb IDE (7.200rpm) Hard drive.
with a 48X DVD/CDRW combo drive.

I thought I had a DVD rewriter, but now I have come to want to burn my videos to DVDs, I find this is not available on my machine!

I will need to install a DVD burner. Can someone please advise me if I can put a piece of hardware that is not made by Dell into my computer, as someone has told me the size of the slot is different.

If I dont need to buy Dell, what burner would be appropriate here?

Also I have heard that it is a good idea to 'separate' my hard drive for photos/videos etc. Is this correct, and if so, how do I go about doing this?

Is there software you would suggest for editing videos?

Any help with this would be appreciated.

Dianne, Norfolk, England

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DVD burner - Dell computer - can I mix hardware?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DVD burner - Dell computer - can I mix hardware?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Of course you can. . .
by Coryphaeus / November 18, 2005 9:58 PM PST

As far as the PC is concerned, a DVD burner is just an optical drive. It's the software that makes it work. Find one that fits your budget. Think about all the home built machines (I have three) that use mix and match parts. Bay size is pretty much standard for optical drives.

I'm not familiar with your term "seperate" the drive. Maybe creating another "Partition" is what you're referring to. If so, it can be a royal PITA. To do this you need specialized software (to repartition a working drive) and you risk loosing everything. I don't recommend repartitioning a working drive.

I'd suggest saving what you can't afford to loose onto optical media such as CD-R, CD-RW, or with your new drive, DVD-R or DVD-RW. DVD disks can save anything. I use DVD-RW disks for all my backups as they can hold over four Gigabytes of data and the new dual layer disks can save twice that much.

Wayne

Wrinkles only go where smiles have been - JB
Click here to see the CNet faces, learn a little about telephones,
internet connections, spyware removal, and download free software.

Collapse -
Dell harware - DVD drive
by dibrannan / November 23, 2005 9:31 PM PST
In reply to: Of course you can. . .

Thanks for your comments. But as a novice to the computer world can I just check with you again, as I am not sure I explained myself well enough, because I am still not sure I have the answer I was looking for.

I quote again my system details.

In 2004 I purchased a Dell Dimension 4600, 45 Intel Pentium 4. 2.80Ghz, 533 fsb and 512KB cache. 80Gb IDE (7.200rpm) Hard drive.
with a 48X DVD/CDRW combo drive.

My question is: Does the 48X DVD/CDRW combo drive have the facility to save video to DVD. Or is it only the CD drive that is the writer?

I have Nero software.

Apologies for my ignorance.

many thanks for your help.

Dianne

Collapse -
DVD/CDRW combo drive...
by John.Wilkinson / November 24, 2005 12:37 AM PST

The 48X DVD/CDRW combo drive can read and burn CDs, but only read DVDs. This type of combo drive used to be standard before DVD burners became mainstream, allowing you to backup your data on CDs, but still watch DVDs. If you wish to burn DVDs, you will need to purchase a DVD burner.

When searching for a burner, keep in mind that Dell, HP, and most other computer manufacturers do not make their own optical drives. They are actually made by companies such as Sony, Samsung, and LiteOn and customized (color/style) for the computer manufacturer. (The same goes for all components...the manufacturer simply assembles all of the parts to produce the finished unit.) While some computers do require you to but a part directly from the manufacturer, any DVD burner should be fine for your Dell Dimension 4600. Just try to find a color match (if it matters to you), and follow the instructions included with the burner. If something goes wrong, you can always take it back. Also, your Nero burning software should work with the new drive (I say should because I have seen versions that are locked to a specific drive), but burning software is almost always included with the new burner anyways.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
DVD/CDRW combo drive
by dibrannan / November 24, 2005 9:02 PM PST

Dear John

Thanks for your comments. I can now go forward armed with the knowledge I should have had in the first place !

Dianne

Collapse -
One Small Caveat
by thought_stazi / November 18, 2005 10:30 PM PST

A lot of Dell system cases are designed such, that if you don't buy a drive from Dell, it will look pretty god awful ugly with the new/additional drive in there. On Optiplex cases (thankfully only the GX2xx series), the case around the optical drive actually juts out a bit, and can make it more difficult to put in discs to the non-Dell drive. If you can find one, it might be worth considering a slot-loading drive, instead of a tray loading one. If you do get a slot loader however, remember NEVER to use mini-CDs or DVDs in them. They'll get stuck and result in costly repairs.

Collapse -
Dell system - DVD drive- Can I mix hardware
by dibrannan / November 23, 2005 9:17 PM PST
In reply to: One Small Caveat

Thanks for you comments. I'll look further into this. Maybe I will have to buy Dell hardware after all!

Dianne

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.