Video Cameras forum

General discussion

DVD and CD Space used !

Hi ,
I recently brought a DVD writer and I already had a movie done through Movie maker, it was 650MB, but since I was advise not to save the movies in a CD and rather go for a DVD, I brought a DVD writer-Samsung and while copying the same movie to a DVD , it took almost 4 GB space, .
I want to knwo as to why it is so and also what is the maximum hour long movie can aI store on a DVD.

Should I Divide my long movie based on the time factor or depending on the memory capacity .
Please advise .
Thanks !

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DVD and CD Space used !
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DVD and CD Space used !
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What steps did you use...

In reply to: DVD and CD Space used !

How did you get the data from the CD to the DVD? Did you do any manipulation? Please advise...

Collapse -
Cd vs DVD

In reply to: What steps did you use...

Hi Whizkid,

I did a movie , using WMM.Saved it on my hard disk in such a way that the lenght of the movies is 1:20 minutes.
When I use the Nero CD Wiriting software to write that movie on to a CD , it says that the file is more than 600MB , but if I write the same movie onto a DVD, the Nero software says that it is more than 4 GB.

Please advise
Let me know if you want anymore details.

Thanks

Collapse -
That is odd...

In reply to: Cd vs DVD

because a 1:20 minute movie clip (if in MPEG2 format), should be only about a hundred megabytes in size. Have you tried to reinstall the Nero software? Do you have a different drive you could use/borrow? Have you tried a different CD/DVD? I am not familiar with Nero but it seems something in either the software or the drive is telling the estimator the wrong information... Have you just tried to burn it onto DVD normally? Let me know...

Collapse -
Ummmmmmmm, is that 1 minute, 20 seconds or

In reply to: That is odd...

1 hour 20 minutes?

Collapse -
(NT) or 120 minutes?

In reply to: Ummmmmmmm, is that 1 minute, 20 seconds or

Collapse -
dvd

In reply to: Ummmmmmmm, is that 1 minute, 20 seconds or

Good clarification .
It is 1 hr and 20 mins.
Thanks !

Collapse -
(NT) The 4gigs is about right.

In reply to: dvd

Collapse -
Agree with Kiddpeat...

In reply to: dvd

the file size is probably just shy of 4 gig... at 80 minutes. Rounding up will get you there.

Collapse -
Dvd VS Cd

In reply to: That is odd...

Hi ,

Will there be any diiference due to me saving the movie with high resolution , in ntsc format,4:3 ratio.

Thanks!

Collapse -
It is quite possible that the CD program is estimating the

In reply to: DVD and CD Space used !

space needed after it recodes the video to fit it onto a CD. Think about a significant reduction in video quality.

The DVD program may be giving you an estimate based on a higher, DVD level of quality. Presumably the rendering software rendered at a DVD quality level.

Collapse -
I think Kiddpeat's on this one.

In reply to: It is quite possible that the CD program is estimating the

Technically, I know I can render-out up to ~120 minutes of standard definition video on one single-layer DVD. I typically limit the video to ~110 minutes so I have space for the DVD menus/graphics, scene selection items and menuing audio. A single-layer DVD can store up to 4.7 gig.

Rendering the same video for CD use will cut that size down - and also do all sorts of down-sampling to fit that video onto a CD designed to hold up to 800 meg... and no menuing...

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.