Windows Vista forum

General discussion

dv6000 upgrade to XP from Vista

hello everyone,

I've tried following a million threads and posts on this one, I am still stumped.

I've gotten the slipstreamed XP installed, and have gotten the video card (via ForceWare drivers) to work. The sound is on, but volume control doesn't work (I had to force the drivers to install in device manager).

None of my LAN or wireless stuff is working. I tried the Broadcom drivers, which is the priority. Not sure what to do?

I have several items in device manager with no drivers, like

Ethernet device
Ethernet device
HP integrated device
Coprocessor

and a few other things I can't remember.

I got my drivers from the HP site. Any suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: dv6000 upgrade to XP from Vista
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: dv6000 upgrade to XP from Vista
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Order of install is paramount.

In reply to: dv6000 upgrade to XP from Vista

Collapse -
Another Discussion About That Same Issue

Collapse -
chipset

In reply to: Another Discussion About That Same Issue

I think a big problem I am running into is that I can't get nVidia Chipset drivers to install. It always go through the installation up until the nVidia splash screen appears, then it all disappears. I just reformated again just in case.

Collapse -
Let me be more blunt.

In reply to: chipset

Unless you share the exact model number no one can be exact about the drivers.

Blunt statement number 2 -> Chat with HP like the example and they'll share where the drivers are hidden and what order to install them in.
Bob

Collapse -
Are you on the Internet with this computer?

Do you have automatic updated enabled?

Answer these questions:

Do you know what the Device manager is? Do you know where it is? If you do, go there and right click on each item and choose "up date driver" An applet will appear, choose "search on line for the newest driver".

See help and support for information. This is a very valuable resource and can help you.

Have you been computing long?

Collapse -
info

In reply to: Are you on the Internet with this computer?

Yes I know what device manager is, and no it is not connected to the internet. None of the network drivers will install, even when I directly show it where the .INF is. It just says that it doesn't contain info regarding my device.

And yes, I have been doing computers for some time.

And my laptop is a dv6700

Collapse -
laptop type

In reply to: info

specifically, the laptop is actually a dv6745us

Collapse -
Just checking.

In reply to: laptop type

Collapse -
Two drivers are being shown, provided

In reply to: info

you've given us correct information:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=228&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3636595

See "Drive Network" on this page/site.

In the "Device Manager" you should able to find the exact make and model of your Ethernet Adapter/ WLAN.

Again, I hope you have provided us with accurate information. If the model number is incorrect you will be installing the wrong driver. This can cause numerous problems. We can only assist you if you provide us with accurate and precise information. I hope your other drivers came from this page/site.

If this fails reboot/re-install the OS. Back up your files before doing so. If you have this many driver problems then you more then likely have many other problems as well. It will be quicker to start over then repair them all. Your certainly free to do as you'd like but this is what I would suggest.

Collapse -
I'll give it a shot

In reply to: Two drivers are being shown, provided

I'll try again and a few other things and let you know.

Thanks for the help!

I am sure it's the right one, because I entered the model number on HP's site and thats what it told me I have.

Collapse -
(NT) It on a metal plate on the back of the PC

In reply to: I'll give it a shot

Collapse -
just says...

In reply to: It on a metal plate on the back of the PC

it just says dv6700

Collapse -
good progress

In reply to: just says...

ok looks like everything is working except...

In Dev manager, I still have the following:

Base System Device
Base System Device
Base System Device
Unknown Device

Any ideas?

Collapse -
Unknown Device

In reply to: good progress

This is more then likely a peripheral, like a camera or a printer or some other plug in device.

Base System Device? Do you have anything else on these 3(?). Are they listed under something? What?

Do you have Internet now? If you do then update your system. While your doing this check the Microsoft down loads site for the hardware drives and enable this service as well.

If you do not have the net yet then you need to get it running first, if those drives I provided for you are loaded now and working.

While doing the up dates check Device manager from time to time to see if they're fixed. If they are continue with these suggestions anyway. They are important to the proper operation of your system. You can't fudge it, these need to be done.

I need to sleep I'll be back latter. Someone is always here, so do as they suggest.

Collapse -
I refer to my first link...

In reply to: good progress

The first 3 drivers appear to have not been installed first. I've seen those items show up when the owner attempts to install XP and gets the install order wrong.
Bob

Collapse -
I did do it in order

In reply to: I refer to my first link...

I did those three in order...

Collapse -
And you started after XP SP2 was done?

In reply to: I did do it in order

Another oddity was the necessity for a Retail XP SP2 install.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.