Laptops forum

General discussion

dv1000 n mew toshiba m35xs309 only cost $799

by jo_y28 / December 31, 2004 1:48 AM PST

this is the new Circuit city deal the $is very low compare to dv1000 help me to decide

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: dv1000 n mew toshiba m35xs309 only cost $799
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: dv1000 n mew toshiba m35xs309 only cost $799
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I don't advise a Celeron Pentium M notebook under $1,000
by KenSanramon / January 3, 2005 5:52 AM PST

Both HPDV1000 and Toshiba M35X notebooks under $1,000 are going to have the Intel CELERON Pentium M (Centrino) which is a decontented cpu -- it has only 1/4 (yes 25% you are reading that right) the L2 system cache as the full Pentium M 715 Dothan or higher (2mb L2 system cache). Yes, that means you are getting only 548kb L2 cache -- the Banias Pentium 1.4 I bought in May 2004 even had 1mb L2 system cache.

Both of these notebooks also have only shared (integrated) video memory.

The Toshiba M35X has a 15.4" widescreen and the HPDV1000 has a 14" widescreen with the instant on DVD and CD functions.

I would not recommend buying any notebook with a Celeron cpu -- you are better off buying refurbished.

You can get either one of these notebooks with a Pentium M 715 1.5 or higher for just over $1,000 (or at least in the $1100 - $1300 range depending on other specs) but if that is too high I recommend that you look at Dell or HP/Compaq refurbished.

This Celeron Cpu makes your notebook almost obsolete before you even turn it on as the engine is drastically decontented just as a 4 cylinder
Ford Mustang would be ............

Collapse -
Thats oversimplification - It depend on your needs
by sreeser / January 13, 2005 1:05 AM PST

I will conceed more L2 Cache is always better, but how much better?

Perhaps a brief explaination of L2 cache migh give ppl an idea of what you refer to. L2 cache is a "place" between where data gets processed and the RAM in your system ( that stuff that says 256MB PC2700 DDR for example is RAM) The bigger this "place" or cache is, the better data can move betweeen the processor and the RAM. Also, it can speed up things like photoshop filters because it doesn't have to send as much all the way back out to the RAM as it calculates each pixel in the image.

Most ppl dont need this amount of performance. You do not need enough cache to handle all the RAM you have installed only enough to handle what your typical processing load may be.

512K of L2 cache can handle caching needs for up to 128MB of RAM. When is the last time you worked on 128 MB word document?

Yes for ppl that like to buy the best and fastest this is not enough, but they wouldn't be shopping on this end of the scale. I have been using a 1.5 GH mobile celeron w/ 256K cache (before Celeron M or even Celeron D) Toshiba laptop for 2 years with very little in performance issues except when I run a large java app like Eclipse/IBM Websphere Studio(100 MB+ of memory used), again which most of those looking at this range would never need.

If you want web browsing, MS office, and watching DVDs on the plane, you have plenty of power. You want to game and run java apps and do video editing, well you prolly want a desktop anyway. In between those, you gotta run that cost benefit analysis for yourself.

Hope that unsimplfies the other answer without confusing ppl.

Collapse -
Celeron is decontenting right out of the gate
by KenSanramon / January 13, 2005 2:54 AM PST

Keep in mind that we are currently on the full Pentium M Centrino revision right now and the new Sonoma update is coming right now (3rd revision). The Celeron Pentium M chips were created earlier this year to get the prices of notebooks under $1,000 but people think the price has just dropped.

Prices have some down in the $1,000-$2,000 range and you can get a full Pentium M 715 1.5 ghz Dothan (2mb L2 system cache) on a notebook even in the $1100 area if you buy less RAM up front or get a DVD ROM/CD-RW instead of a DVD burner, etc. Costco is selling an HPDV1000 model from Jan 31-the following Saturday for only $1150 and that is with a DVD burner...

You will regret it later as the Celeron Pentium M's or Celeron Pentium 4M's make your computer obsolete that much faster. I bought my mother a Celeron Pentium 3 400mhz once and it was ok for awhile but it got obsolete faster than it would have had with a full Pentium 3 cpu.

Since my mother only uses internet and E-mail the main thing is to get a solid chip up front and then you don't have to replace it more than every 3-4 years

Collapse -
Even if you replace in 2 years...
by sreeser / February 4, 2005 4:39 PM PST

And you pay half the price ... invest the other half for two years, Have a nice dinner on the interest and treat yourself to a nice new laptop that will be better than the expensive one you would still be holding on to. Ebay the old one for $299 and you are WAY ahead.

2002 1.5 Celeron 14" After Rebate $499
2004 340 CeleronD WXGA After Rebate $599
Sell 2002 laptop minimum $299
(havent sold it yet but there is a bid on one for this currently)
TOTAL $799

You are basing this on your Mother's Celeron 400? Lemme guess ...you upgraded to XP and had a whopping 128MB RAM. Of course it was obsolete... but not in 2 years. Most problems with PC's becoming obsolete have to do with OS upgrades more than any other reason. I have an 8 year old P2 266MHz running NT4 that Web browses does email and MS office as fast as I could possibly need it to. If I upgraded to xp it would be abyssmal.

There is so little performance difference now on email and browsing that most mere mortals would never see the difference between a Mobile Celeron 1.5 GHz and a P4 3.0 GHz.

As a matter of fact normal email, web browsing and MS office are highly unlikely to ever take advantage of the L2 cache you are paying for in a P4. Thats the realm of photoshop filters complex java apps and video editing.

I think you are needlessly scaring people into spending $$ for performance almost ALL users will NEVER come close to using. (I'd hazzard that 99% will never use 2MB L2) I have had 7 laptops since the early 90's and find that processing power is rarely the reason that I retire them, and I never expect more than 2-3 years from them. I do serious programming and even play the occaisional game and have had little to complain about with CPU power.

The first one I had I spent $5,000 then $2500, then $1000, the past few have all been around $500. I have learned my lesson and stopped throwing $$$ away.

Collapse -
celeron is not bad
by iishort86 / January 13, 2005 11:31 AM PST

to that guy that was bagging on the celeron processor! celeron arnt all that BAD as you are making it sound. I own a 2.0GHz celeron laptop from Dell and it works just fine! Even better than I thought it would run even.. I can surf, work, and even play games! I play cs 1.6 on this laptop and get decent 30-50fps which isnt bad for a cheap laptop ($699)

it depends on what you need. if you want to type word docs you dont need a p4, or amd, but the centrino may be better than celeron due to the battery life. My celeron last over two hours for typing and thats more than what I need so Im happy. You dont need to go waste money on thousand dollar laptops when you only need the bare minimum.

Collapse -
DOES NOT HAVE A CELERON PROCESSOR
by yellowsocks / January 16, 2005 12:08 PM PST

hate to tell you this but the Toshiba M35x-S309 does not have a celeron processor in it. I own one of these notebooks it in fact has a P-M chip with 2mb cache.

Collapse -
Under $1000 likely Celeron M-- over $1,000 Pentium M
by KenSanramon / January 17, 2005 3:23 AM PST

The Toshiba M35X you have was not under $1,000

The notebooks selling in the $800 dollar range are Celeron M processors ........

Nearly all Retail Toshiba M35X's however, whether below $1,0000 with a Celeron Pentium M or in the low $1000's with a Pentium M Dothan have shared video (integrated) -- you have to order a Toshiba M30 online apparently now in the US to get a dedicated video card (M35S420 sold until about September 2004 had dedicated video memory but it was priced in the $1750-$1999 price range).

Collapse -
yes it was.
by yellowsocks / January 17, 2005 7:32 AM PST

800+tax.

Collapse -
Specs
by KenSanramon / January 17, 2005 8:32 AM PST
In reply to: yes it was.

I initially posted this to the wrong Toshiba M35x thread but here it is again ....

I assume your specs are similar to this Circuit City model which is currently just over $1000 after rebate:

Toshiba Satellite

Collapse -
i have the S309
by yellowsocks / January 18, 2005 5:56 AM PST
In reply to: Specs

1.4 256mb everything else the same. HD is actually like 55GB

Collapse -
The Toshiba is a great buy!
by angelesq / January 4, 2005 3:20 AM PST

I don't know about the dv1000 but I have used the Toshiba M35X-S309 for the past month. It is a great computer! The wide screen is lovely and it is pretty fast. I have an older satellite and notice the difference in performance. Also, with the price so low, it is hard to argue with buying it. I would also note that it is easy to add more RAM (an opening is easily accessible from the underside).

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.