Video Cameras forum

General discussion

DV Cassettes vs Memory Stick

by rudyhoward / February 24, 2005 6:41 AM PST

I recently bought my first digital camcorder, a Sony PC-350. Obviously one can record videos on the tape or the memory stick (albeit not much on the memory stick included with the camcorder). Nothing in the manuals indicate a preference, except to note that recording on the stick will be in mono, as oppposed to stereo on the tape (and I could care less if my kids' screams are stereo or mono). Clearly downloading to PC would be much easier from stick than 1:1 tape playback into the PC. My question is this: Other than having to pay $150 for a 1G stick to have enough capacity, is there another reason that tape would be a preferable recording medium.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DV Cassettes vs Memory Stick
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DV Cassettes vs Memory Stick
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by jcrobso / February 24, 2005 6:54 AM PST

Does the manual say what the quality from the memory stick is?? How many tapes can you buy for $150 and how much recording time will all the tapes give you? John

Collapse -
by jcrobso / February 25, 2005 1:56 AM PST

Well, I went to The Sony site and what I found out was that currently this camera is only ceritfied for a 512mb stick. It does say what the qualiy is the memory stick is E-mail mode with a resultion of 160x112 pixels. The TAPE
mode is DV quality or 740X480 pixels. Try recording both
ways and see what looks better when you play it back on you TV or PC then decide. John

Collapse -
Problem solved
by rudyhoward / February 25, 2005 6:01 AM PST

Thanks. I think you've helped me figure this out. It is a quality issue. Again thanks

Collapse -
8mm hi8mm digital8 DVtape
by camcorder / March 17, 2005 10:24 PM PST

i want to get a tape but i'm not sure witch one to get can someone help me decide? P.S.i'm also on a low budget.

Collapse -
Since a tape can store 13gigs it seems like a no brainer.
by Kiddpeat / February 24, 2005 10:05 AM PST

If your memory stick records the same quality as the tape, it could record for about 5 minutes of video. The tape can also be retained as a backup of the recorded video.

Collapse -
Stick Capacity
by rudyhoward / February 25, 2005 12:39 AM PST

According to the manual a 1G stick would record for approx 2.5 hours, significantly longer than a tape. So according to that it's not such a no brainer

Collapse -
TAPES AREN'T MEASURED IN GIGABYTES
by camcorder / March 17, 2005 10:29 PM PST

and 13 gigs would be like 13 hours isn't it like 2 hours what do u mean?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?