Rant

Dust Removal from Modern Laptops - What are they thinking?

I have a pet peeve. Laptop computers that offer no good way to remove dust from the CPU cooling fins.

Yet again, with my daughters fairly new HP DV-3019, I run across a receint computer that has to be completely dissasembled to get to the fans and cooling fins. In the case of this computer, you have to removed the covers on the bottom, remove the drives, then start at the top and strip the computer till you get the main board out. Only then can you get to the cooling fins--or so it appears.

While blowing the dust out with compressed air can help, there are times when this simply doesn't work. Why is it that computer manufacturers don't make cleaning out this dust easy. They certainly know these areas collect dust.

On both my older NX9110 and my newer quad-core laptop it's a simple matter of a few screws and you're there. I also do this kind of cleaning for many of my relatives who often come to me with computers that have more than 90% of the cooling fins blocked. Each time I see one that has no reasonable means to get the dust out I swear I'm going to start a revolt.

Well, it's now time to revolt! I say we all stop buying laptops that don't have a simple means to completely clean the dust out of the fans and CPU cooling fins!!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Dust Removal from Modern Laptops - What are they thinking?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Dust Removal from Modern Laptops - What are they thinking?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments

CNET Forums