Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Durn it, just found out Defying Gravity

by Roger NC / December 27, 2009 11:55 AM PST

not only will not show it's second season on ABC, but won't even show all the shows "canned".

Strange show, but my wife and I were actually intrigued by it, now it's busted and all the mystery just lost tangles of plot lines.

Roger

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Durn it, just found out Defying Gravity
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Durn it, just found out Defying Gravity
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Maybe will show up here.
by James Denison / December 27, 2009 12:39 PM PST
Collapse -
(NT) Did read the unshown shows wouls be on HULU.
by Roger NC / December 28, 2009 6:19 AM PST
Collapse -
Never heard of it...
by EdHannigan / December 27, 2009 8:45 PM PST

which might be part of the problem. It looks like it was interesting, but maybe word didn't get out about the show.

Maybe I'll check it out on HULU.

Collapse -
seems the Canadians saw it all
by jonah jones / December 27, 2009 9:26 PM PST
Collapse -
(NT) Gee, maybe there are some benefits to living here. RTB
by Ziks511 / February 27, 2010 8:56 AM PST
Collapse -
While curious about any shows
by Roger NC / February 27, 2010 10:49 AM PST

I may not have seen, it's also a bit of what's the point?

I mean, what's the difference if I see 10 shows or 13 shows if it's still cancelled with everything hanging.

We were beginning to get hooked on it. Too bad for us it didn't make the cut I guess.

Roger

Collapse -
Ohh!
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 27, 2009 9:46 PM PST

I tried to watch it on BBC tv, but couldn't take it.

There was nothing about the show I liked, from the, "all characters have either psychological problems" or are "hiding some personal secrets", or both, to the continuous flashbacks to "how did they get here" stories, to the magical gravity the spaceship has, to the 'lack of time delay' as the ship travelled further away from Earth towards Venus with communication between ship and Earth control.

Sorry, I was starting on a rant there. Happy

And why did they have to leave two astronauts behind to die on Mars, just because of a dust storm? The atmosphere on Mars is so thin and the dust so feeble, the storms are as strong as cigarette smoke.

Oops. Off again!

Mark

Collapse -
Not sure about that...
by EdHannigan / December 27, 2009 10:19 PM PST
In reply to: Ohh!

From what I've heard dust storms on Mars are no laughing matter.

I note that the show has been described as "Gray's Anatomy in sopace". Since I can't hardly stand Gray's Anatomy (my wife watches it) that doesn't recommend it to me.

Collapse -
I'm no expert, but as far as I know
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 28, 2009 4:59 AM PST
In reply to: Not sure about that...

the Mars atmosphere is so weak it barely exists. It's poisonous anyway of course, but even if an astronaut did take his helmet off there and hold his breath, his blood would boil from the almost vacuum like lack of air. An atmosphere that weak can't support large grains, even with Mars' low gravity, (1/3 gravity compared to Earth's), because the air is not strong enough to move anything larger than dust.

But I'm prepared to be wrong.

However..... Happy

So an expedition goes to Mars, fully equipped to survive there apparently for, (a few months) at least. They either, don't make their spacecraft strong enough to withstand the dust storms, or they have no weather stations, (Mars Orbiter, Mars Reconnaissance, etc), that can tell when a dust storm is building, or both, and so just before they have to lift off, they send an expedition out into the (wherever) which cannot then get back in time. I think we could do better, even now.

By the way Ed, have you been following the building of the ISS? I'm really looking forward to one of the last Shuttle expeditions to the station. It delivers the seven-windowed Cupola module, which should be fantastic. It will allow the astronauts 360 degree views of Earth.

Mark

Collapse -
Of course, I haven't seen theh episode...
by EdHannigan / December 28, 2009 5:38 AM PST

TV almost always gets the science wrong.

Collapse -
Grey's Anatomy never interested me
by Roger NC / December 28, 2009 6:26 AM PST
In reply to: Not sure about that...

I didn't hear that description of the show till I was following links on it's cancellation and an interview or two with the writer.

Part of the problem possibly was very poor promotion by ABC. Or then, maybe it was just the show and it just struck a resonance with me and my wife.

Collapse -
Actually the first show and second one
by Roger NC / December 28, 2009 6:23 AM PST
In reply to: Ohh!

some of the aspects bothered me, but somehow it got me caught up in wanting to know.

Flashbacks mixed in normally bug me, but I'll admit to getting hooked on this one, wanting to know what was next in both timeline plots.

As far as magic gravity and lack of time delay, shrug, I'm an old Star Trek Fan and other such, so my ability to suspend disbelieve had overdeveloped perhaps. Although I find some things still occasionally push my logic button.

But hey, no show is for everyone.

Collapse -
just watched the last (13th) episode of season 1
by jonah jones / February 25, 2010 9:11 PM PST

i liked it (definitely not "Greys Anatomy in Space" either)

i think they worked the "guilt factor" just right

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?