Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

during installation of XP pro, it locks up after 1st reboot

by junkyardjake / November 8, 2004 5:19 AM PST

I just got 2005 windows media center. I originally had xp home ed. on my computer. I install 2005 windows media center (xp pro) throught the boot disk. I formatted the drive using fat parition and the intial windows file are installed and then the system reboots. Once the window xp comes up and the bar scrolls a few times then it locks up. ctrl, alt, delete with not reboot it, so I have to turn the power off. I have reinstall xp home ed and then reinstalled xp pro and it still locks in the same place. Does any one have any ideas??? Thanks!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: during installation of XP pro, it locks up after 1st reboot
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: during installation of XP pro, it locks up after 1st reboot
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: during installation of XP pro, it locks up after 1st reb
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 8, 2004 5:25 AM PST

Tip: If you are asking for help to troubleshoot a computer-related problem, please be sure to include all the necessary information (ie: operating system, model number, hardware, software, etc) that will help others identify your problem for a speedy resolution.

Some machines lock up solid on XP installs. The reasons vary from needed BIOS updates to USB devices that are plugged in and shouldn't be. Your post is too light on details.

Collapse -
by LancerEvo / November 8, 2004 11:35 PM PST

Hi To All...

I am also experiencing the same problem as the writer had described. I also had tried to install Win2k... it also locks up at the 'Setup is starting windows 2000' screen.

But it works fine with Win 98, & ME.

Wat's goin on???
Can some1 please advise?

My notebook is a:

CLEVO Prestigio
Model: 2800T
950MHz Intel Celeron Tualatin CPU
40GB 5400RPM Hitachi HDD
Samsung CD-ROM drive
On-Board Video & Sound (SiS 630T Chipset)

any more info i missed out?

Please HELP...... could it be the BIOS???

Collapse -
You have a notebook.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 8, 2004 11:38 PM PST

Such are known to run what OS they came with and may never run an newer OS due to updates that never happened ot the BIOS or other parts of the laptop.

Since it's a laptop, there is very little you can do but disable, if you can in the BIOS items such as sound, USB ports, PCMCIA and what else you can.

You are not doing anything wrong except not contacting the maker of the laptop to see if they know if it will run Windows 2000 or XP.

Collapse -
Re: You have a notebook.
by LancerEvo / November 8, 2004 11:52 PM PST
In reply to: You have a notebook.

Thanks Bob for your quick reply...

but the thing is... I HAD installed Win XP on my notebook before. It ran prefectly fine for a few weeks then XP just froze while i was doing my assignment. So i had to unplug the power. After that...XP just keeps freezing at the Windows XP logo with the black background.

Now... it just freeze at the XP setup.

BIOS problem? I tried Clevo's help for BIOS updates though.... =(

Collapse -
Then remove any recently added RAM
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 9, 2004 12:08 AM PST

And perform a drive fitness test on the unit.

Again, the BIOS issues continue to haunt such units. I find that the BIOS defaults are best, then I start disabling items.

In closing, sometimes the owner "upgraded" their way to XP and a full, clean install does not work on their laptop. It confounds them why it is so.

Collapse -
Re: Then remove any recently added RAM
by LancerEvo / November 9, 2004 12:15 AM PST

I have tried removing the RAM... its still the same.

The problem with the BIOS is that it doesnt provide many options. just simple ones, like how much share memory to be used for the video, enable or disable HDD/ CD-ROM drive, Power Management. That's about it.

I'm really frustrated...i tried all means... im now suspecting the BIOS might be corrupt....and i CANT find any updates on the internet.

BIOS is SystemSoft MobilePRO BIOS Version 1.01

Any ideas where I can find the update to flash it?

I would really appreciate it.

Collapse -
Re: Then remove any recently added RAM
by LancerEvo / November 9, 2004 12:19 AM PST

I got this software from

here's the info:

Program: BIOS Detect v1.2 July 21, 2003
BIOS Date: 12/18/99
BIOS Type: unknown
BIOS ID: unknown
Chipset: SiS 630 rev 49
Superio: SMC 869 rev 0 found at port 3F0h
CPU Type: Pentium III <--Dont know why it states P3
CPU Speed: 947 Mhz
CPU Max: 947 Mhz
BIOS ROM In Socket: Yes
BIOS ROM Size: 256K
Memory Installed: 1024 MB
Memory Maximum: Unknown, Inc.
1-800-800-BIOS (2467)

Collapse -
You may have missed that clue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 9, 2004 12:19 AM PST

Remember that I've seen this before. The owner had Windows 98 running and upgraded to 2000. But could never install Windows 2000. Neither could I! That notebook was not listed as 2000/XP compatible by its maker.

Have you contacted the laptop maker for this information?

And I doubt the BIOS is corrupt, just that it is not ready for a fresh install of XP/2000.

Collapse -
Re: You may have missed that clue.
by LancerEvo / November 9, 2004 12:30 AM PST

Hmmm......ok, I guess I should give that Upgrade option a try.

Thanks for your help Bob. =)

Collapse -
by junkyardjake / November 9, 2004 2:36 AM PST

I have
Windows Media Center 2005 OEM
Asus P4P800 motherboard
Intel Pent. 2.8ghz 800 bus with hyper threading
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro video
512RAM centon, I think
30 Gig Maxtor HD
Antec TruePower Supply 330watt power supply, I think
Matshita DVD-Rom
Lucent Win Modem

Please let me know I you need anything else.

I have removed everything but the video card (modem, sound card, and stuff like that and all usb are disconnected and disable in the bios and try install windows xp pro media center 2005 and it still lock one the windows pro sign comes up and the bar starts scrolling across the screen. I can install xp home edition with no problems.

Thanks for your help!!!

Collapse -
For junkyyardjake. You need to seek the OEM out.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 9, 2004 2:45 AM PST

That OEM provider is an issue. They get to help you install it... Or you ask for your money back.

It's one of the downsides of OEM issues. Something is amiss but it's not clear in your post. My bet is your machine's builder and OEM needs to get to work.

Collapse -
330 Watts. Why so slim?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 9, 2004 2:48 AM PST

That's an oddity with all that high power equipment in there. Try an install with just one stick RAM, a non-3D video card, one hard disk, no USB items plugged in, USB and what else disabled in the BIOS, just one CD/DVD drive. You might squeek by.

The TV card, winmodem has to go too..

Collapse -
Read Some XP SP2 installation problems.Causes&Cures ?
by Cetin Denislam / November 9, 2004 3:49 AM PST

Read the following Some XP SP2 installation problems. Causes and Cures.

In your particular case, it's the MSKB article at point #1. Let me add some additional comments to the original ones. The article presents a critical update, some observability procedures and two workarounds.

However, instead of using those, find the latest BIOS for your motherboard and flash it.

Description of the symptom

With the actual BIOS, you can install windows XP (original or SP1) without problems. Using windows XP SP2 (MS OEM or slipstreamed) or in your case Media Center 2005, the installation stalls after the first restart while scrolling the blue bar.

With the latest (and hopefully the compliant one) you should be able to install SP2 (or in your case Media Center 2005).

Good Luck,

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
In the future open new thread.Your problem is different [NT]
by Cetin Denislam / November 9, 2004 3:51 AM PST

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?