Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Durable yet feature packed MP3?

by Undependable / August 31, 2007 12:59 PM PDT

I just cracked my Zen V Plus's screen.

Again.

This is the second Zen V Plus that I have put out of commission by cracking the screen- in less than two months. I know people will say that I need to be more careful with them- but it's unovoidable that any small device I carry around will get dropped- sometimes 13 feet onto a concrete surface- accidentally. I mean, my little Zens were ok, the first one made that 13 foot drop out the hay loft door with only a few scratches, but the screens seem to crack really easily-or it's just not a durable enough player.

Is there any MP3 player (-radio/pictures/recording features)out there that still has a display (Not one of those with the tiinnnyyy rectangular screen) but is pretty durable, but isn't too large- but also is under $120?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Durable yet feature packed MP3?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Durable yet feature packed MP3?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
try out other brands
by a midsummer night dream / August 31, 2007 5:42 PM PDT

how about trying out some other brands, such as Sony or iRiver...older version mp3s' prices should be quite reasonable. Archos mp3s are also not a bad choice, and with larger screen than zen v plus too.

Collapse -
I'd check out the Sansa e200s
by JonTitor / September 1, 2007 9:39 AM PDT

They got a lot of features and as a nice scratch resistant cover.

Collapse -
case?
by miconstantine / September 3, 2007 12:43 AM PDT

For your next mp3 player, try getting a case for it, such as the DLO Action Jacket. It works great with my iPod.

Collapse -
DLO silicone cases
by beaubennett / October 29, 2007 1:09 AM PDT
In reply to: case?
Collapse -
along with a case, maybe an armband?
by ktreb / September 3, 2007 3:09 AM PDT

No mp3 player is going to survive repeated drops from 13 feet onto concrete. Maybe you should think about how to prevent dropping it in the first place. If you really like the Zen V Plus, you should get another one. But this time invest a little more and get yourself a case/armband combination. Keeping it handsfree hopefully will prevent it from being dropped and the case will help if it does get dropped.

I used to walk/run with an iPod Mini (which has a hard drive, rather than a flash drive) in my hand. I kept in in a clear, plastic case that came in handy one day when I dropped it and kicked it 15 feet into the street. It survived without a crack or scratch, since the case took the brunt of it. After that, I put it on an armband and haven't dropped it since. I've also used armbands with my iPod Video and Nano.

I'm not really into hard plastic cases anymore. I prefer silicone or leather because they provide some cushioning. I don't really like belt clips either. Many clip them onto their jeans/pants pocket rather than their belts which makes it less securely attached.

Here a combo from Creative's website. You can also find them elsewhere.

http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=213&subcategory=744&product=15444

If you don't want to do an armband, how about a fanny or hip pack?

Good Luck!

Collapse -
Lanyard....
by kinglaura / November 4, 2007 4:32 AM PST

If you really like the Zen V Plus, and you don't need different features, you might consider using the little lanyard that comes with the player. Just attach the lanyard to the player and attach the other end to your belt or beltloop. Then it's pretty secure, like a pocketwatch or whatever. If the player drops out of your pocket, it will only fall a foot or so, tops, and hopefully it won't bash into anything.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.