HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

dun help 691 killing me

by squish72 / August 31, 2007 1:52 AM PDT

please help i was having problems with my computer so i reinstalled windows xp after formating the hard drive. now when i try to connect to the internet using a dun it brings up the error 691, i have tried uninstalling/reinstalling the modem (im using my verizon cell as modem), i know the user name and password are correct because it works on another pc(aso using my cell) i have made sure the allow unsecure password is selected. please help!!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: dun help 691 killing me
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: dun help 691 killing me
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
got to start somewhere, google 691
by bus / August 31, 2007 2:20 AM PDT
Collapse -
error 691
by squish72 / August 31, 2007 7:36 AM PDT

thanks for replying
i have tried everything
ive spent the last 2 days on google

Collapse -
Sorry to hear the 2 days digging with no luck
by bus / August 31, 2007 8:39 AM PDT
In reply to: error 691

Is the XP version pre-sp2? Here is my guess. If you could get to the WUD and do the updates your problem maybe solved by the updating to sp2. I think you could be having driver/modem software mismatch with your OS version causing a connection error. The modem software may have been patched to work with sp2 (did you update the modem software or does Verizon do it automatically?) and because you can't update you have sp1 which maybe crashing your connection.

No offense intended, it's just so many people post without doing some digging first. I took it for granted that you fell in that group. Sorry. You may want to post what you have tried and why just so you can check it off and not try the same steps again, Good luck.

Collapse -
sp2 it is
by squish72 / August 31, 2007 9:05 AM PDT

i wish i had time to put down all the things i have tried ive tried new drivers ive tried old driver and i have been trying to get an answer on the net for over a week and a half its just ive been going through google for two days its getting really frustrating

Collapse -
bad jack, bad key
by bus / August 31, 2007 3:48 PM PDT
In reply to: sp2 it is

What you done so far:

Your computer was having problems.

You formatted the drive and re-installed Windows XP (sp2).

After the format and re-install of XP all was well with the computer but you could not connect to the Internet.

When trying to connect to Internet you got the dun error 691.

You have worked through the KB 310431.

You then checked and tested your password and user name on another computer, where it worked fine.

When you tested the password and user name on another computer you used your cell to make the connection there by testing it as well and it worked fine.

You have tried uninstalling/reinstalling the modem. Not sure what you mean. Does your computer have an internal modem that you connect to your cell phone that you are physically plugging and unplugging, or do you have a cellular modem device supplied by Verizon that you are physically plugging and unplugging when you say ?You have tried uninstalling/reinstalling?? Do you hear the old dun noise or is it just get only the error code? Can you use your computer as a phone? If so, do you get a dial tone? All these questions are leading to, could you just have a bad jack/connection point on your computer causing this problem? Also, I once was having a problem with a dun that turned out to be a bad key on the keyboard. I typed in the password correctly but the bad key messed it up so I could not get the connection to work and I could not see the password was being typed in wrong because of those stars that come up as you type passwords. I was just suggesting these 2 items (bad jack, bad key) because you said you tried everything and so I offer them as possible things that might have been overlooked due to their nature.

Is it possible that your computer has an IP address that is incorrect and needs to be released and then renewed? If it is a cellular modem device supplied by Verizon can you call their tech support? Tech support always seems to want to cycle the IP addresses.

That is all I have, sorry I can?t think of anything else, hope it helps.

Collapse -
definetly will check those???
by squish72 / September 1, 2007 1:20 AM PDT
In reply to: bad jack, bad key

ok as far as the modem on my pc its just my cell and as far as uninstalling and reinstalling i did physically and deleting the drivers and reinstalling

Collapse -
You hit the nail....
by catamaranman / June 19, 2008 7:47 AM PDT

Thanks for the post! Luckily I only had to dig for about 10 minutes 'til I found this thread. I had just reinstalled XP and done all the recommended updates manually. Strangely, It did not include the SP2 update in the list. I had to activate automatic updates and give it a couple of hours before it did the deed. After the restart my speeds were back to normal. Note: the Verizon "tech support" people have still not responded after I wasted a couple of hours trying to get past their first tier "help"...maybe they should all have cnet accounts! ;-p

Collapse -
dun help 691 killing me
by billzhills / September 1, 2007 3:35 AM PDT

Will Verizon allow you to create a DUN (dial up network) or do you have to use their software to connect?

Better than even chance you will have to install the software provided by Verizon.

Bill

Collapse -
verizon
by squish72 / September 2, 2007 9:04 AM PDT

ive used my phone for a few years as a modem just using the windows dun and i have done this on other pc's with success so there is something wrong on my pc

Collapse -
Verizon Cell connect
by billzhills / September 2, 2007 11:37 PM PDT
In reply to: verizon

If you are getting this error Message:

"Error 691: Access was denied because the username and/or password was invalid on the domain"

Then you must install an application from Verizon or your Cell phone.

Bill

Collapse -
cell connect
by squish72 / September 4, 2007 1:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Verizon Cell connect

thats what im trying to find out what i need cause ive never heard of or used software from verizon except for their music manager??? the only thing i have used in the two years of using my phone as a modem is dl the driver from lg

Collapse -
Cell connect error: 691
by billzhills / September 4, 2007 2:28 AM PDT
In reply to: cell connect

I take it you are getting the "username and/or password was invalid on the domain" error message.

If so then contact Verizon and your cell phone service provider to see if they have changed the rules on Internet connectivity via cell phone.

Your other system that still connects may be "grandfathered in" and not need/require any additional software. Don't really know..

Only that when I see this error Message "username and/or password was invalid on the domain", with a correct username/password I need to install the ISPs application.

Bill

Collapse -
verizon software
by squish72 / September 4, 2007 8:36 AM PDT

yeah i was wondering if verizon changed something untill i used my phone on a different pc (i installed the same drivers i have on my pc and used the same login/password) and it worked fine i think maybe something in my registry is messed up or something i dont know and i dont have another pc at my house to check side by side registry's ive never ever had a problem this long and not been able to fix it i'm just lost!!!!!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.