Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Dumb me trick # (lost count)

I lost the sound in my computer.

Now, I've been removing and adding some programs, and have had to call their tech support, so some changes were made.

So, I run restore. Still no sound.

As luck would have it, a nice Dell manager phoned to check how my PC was doing. When I told him no sound, he said to be sure the speakers et al were plugged in. I did-still no sound, so he gave me the # to call.

Which I did.

Mercifully, there was a longer hold than usual. I happened to glance at the speaker with the on-off light. It was off. I hurriedly stuck in a music CD --- sound!

I quickly hung up.Happy

The manager will be calling back Saturday to see if my problem was fixed. Yep! (And I'll have to tell him how.)

In my own defense, there had been a lot of re-starting and re-booting going on with the installations of the software. But, how did I miss that green light right in front of me.

Angeline
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dumb me trick # (lost count)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dumb me trick # (lost count)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You have an out, Ang

In reply to: Dumb me trick # (lost count)

You just had eye surgery and still can't focus well so it's not your fault....heheheh....

TONI

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) (giggle!) :-) But not a bad idea! :-)

In reply to: You have an out, Ang

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) your a blonde works

In reply to: (NT) (giggle!) :-) But not a bad idea! :-)

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) :-)

In reply to: (NT) your a blonde works

Collapse -
or a hillbilly? :-))

In reply to: (NT) your a blonde works

After living in the remote wilderness of Kentucky all his life, an old
hillbilly decided it was time to visit the big city. In one of the stores he
picks
up a mirror and looks in it. Not knowing what it was, he remarked, "How
about
that! Here's a picture of my daddy."

He bought the 'picture', but on the way home he remembered his wife, Lizzy,
didn't like his father.

So he hung it in the barn, and every morning before leaving for the fields,
he would go there and look at it.

Lizzy began to get suspicious of these many trips to the barn.

One day after her husband left, she searched the barn and found the mirror.

As she looked into the glass, she fumed, "So that's the ugly ***** he's
runnin' around with."

Collapse -
Just tell him that you thought the foot peddle turned on

In reply to: You have an out, Ang

the sound. When he asks, tell him about that little gizmo with two buttons and a wheel.

Someone actually did that once. Happy

Collapse -
Or...

In reply to: Just tell him that you thought the foot peddle turned on

"The coffee holder was stuck!"

Or (one of my favorites - paraphrased)

"I still just have a black screen. Yes, I held the big button on for several seconds, like you said. Oh, goodie! The power in the house just came back on!"

My personal worse one was when I first started my ISP was CIS. I was instructed to type "c forward". So, I typed c forward. Several times before the light dawned.

Angeline

Collapse -
Re: Or...

In reply to: Or...

Collapse -
What truly amazes me......

......is not your mistake/oversight (been there - done that!! Happy ), but these two comments you made:

"...a nice Dell manager phoned to check how my PC was doing."
and
"The manager will be calling back Saturday to see if my problem was fixed."

Now THAT was something I would never have expected from Dell (or any of the big name companies).

Tell us your secret for such great customer service! HappyHappy

--Marcia

Collapse -
Re: What truly amazes me......

In reply to: What truly amazes me......

Due to sight and IQ problems, I have to have live support. My other, and first PC is a W95 from Gateway. Those techs taught me a lot! After all these years they still offer that support. Only once did a tech there mess up.

This WMe from Dell has had few problems. These present ones started after installing an upgrade AV/firewall. Since then, solitaire wouldn't work, and fixes from the provider did not work. So I had a field engineer re-install WMe and my incidental programs, and install the upgrades in HD and RAM I ordered from Dell. All worked fine except sol. (I use it while on hold, and to do something brainless to relax.)

So, for fun, I called Dell. The tech had me disable a string of things in start-up(too many, it turned out). Sol then worked. I was happy. He asked that I speak with his manager, who wanted to know how he did. He did fine in solving my problem. But I couldn't access the internet after I hung up.

Now, both manufacturers say they record the calls.
Maybe the manager discovered the error, which prompted the call. Then when he called back, I did not mention that sol wasn't working. (I figure it is not in the cards-pun intended). Happy He asked how my PC was doing, so I mentioned the no sound above.

Both manufacturers have always sent follow-up emails. (I haven't called Gateway in almost 2 years.)

I dunno, Marcia, if everybody has the same good experiences, but their support record rates high.

I was told that phone techs, sort of like auto mechanics, prefer calls that state the problem, say what steps had been taken, recent history of new installations, then leaving the diagnosis to them. I do that anyway, because I can't diagnose. Happy

I have noticed that my most recent calls to providers - cable, software, peripherals, and Dell indicated that the techs have foreign accents for the most part. Maybe the Dell tech was in training, which prompted the manager to call.

Angeline

Collapse -
I know, Angeline!

In reply to: Re: What truly amazes me......

It's an all-purpose excuse: : "I'm old, half-blind in one eye and blonde in the other".

Of course, after hearing that, the tech support prole's likely to just hang up out of sheer terror.... Wink

Collapse -
Or...

In reply to: I know, Angeline!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Slapping, Ang.....I resemble that remark ;-)

In reply to: Or...

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Ouch! :-)

In reply to: (NT) Slapping, Ang.....I resemble that remark ;-)

Collapse -
Re: Dumb me trick # (lost count)

Similar has happened to me. Since we are the same age in the 70's, that could be a factor. Wink

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) :-)

In reply to: Re: Dumb me trick # (lost count)

Collapse -

Good thing you wimmens are open about these things - that lets us menfolk learn from your mistakes "lurker"-style. Happy

Regards, Doug in New Mexico

Collapse -
Hey, Doug!

I don't think I have given you a "Welcome to Speakeasy" before, so here it is!

(Of course, noted by my failure to see the speaker was off, my "thinking" is not that reliable!) Happy

I've been in your beautiful state several times (Alamogordo area), and thoroughly enjoyed myself at every visit.

I see you are a fan of the BBC. I get BBCAmerica on cable, and watch it often.

As to "lurking", I often do in the Help forums, and pick up some great tips!

Angeline

Collapse -

Hi Doug,

I know you from another forum, I went to long ago, don't I? You sound familiar to me. Happy

Welcome, in any event!

--Cindi
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email the mods

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.