HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Dulal-load Application error in Win XP Registry

by zwmonkey / July 30, 2009 10:49 AM PDT

I'm having a real problem with a graphics program in Win XP. My Corel Photo-Paint program will freeze up at the most annoying times and cause me to lose a file I'm working on. When I call up Windows Task Manager to shut the program down, I find that there are two copies of the program trying to run at once, with the second one most likely being called up somehow during the process - I don't know how, I just know that it's not me doing it.

I have the Corel Photo-Paint icon in the Quick Bar, and the tool tip that pops up shows the name of the application written twice. I can't fix it in Properties, it's not written like that in the dialog box nor does it show a bad path.

I think the problem is in the Registy. I have read on Annoyances.org that this problem can happen when programs are cleared from the Start Menu, because Windows keeps track of the new locations of Start menu folders when they are drag-dropped. So I have reason to believe that dragging the icon from the Desktop to the Quick bar has caused this.

Am I possibly right about this, and, if so, where in the world would I search in the Registry to correct it?

"Annoyances.org - Startup Programs Run Twice When Windows Loads"
http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article07-300

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dulal-load Application error in Win XP Registry
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dulal-load Application error in Win XP Registry
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I haven't heard that
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 30, 2009 8:46 PM PDT

and I am not entirely convinced, but I am no expert.

Try a test. Find your Corel Photo-Paint program .exe file, usually in C:\Program files, and double click that to open the application.

Does this freeze and show two instances in the Task Manager? If not, why not delete that Quick launch shortcut, create a new shortcut from that program .exe file, (right click, Send to... Desktop (Create Shortcut)). Then drag that shortcut to the Quick Launch bar.

Mark

Collapse -
Dual-load blues
by zwmonkey / August 2, 2009 5:41 AM PDT
In reply to: I haven't heard that

I had no problem accessing the .exe file the way you suggested. I'm going to follow all the rest of your advice, and I thank you.

Collapse -
Free lesson.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 30, 2009 10:13 PM PDT
Collapse -
Lesson learned
by zwmonkey / August 2, 2009 5:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Free lesson.

Actually, this happened right in the middle of the tutorial where I had to import some images and use them. I had just opened the file, was in the process of importing when the crash happened. I never got a chance to add or modify or do anything else.

I have realized the need to make sure I create backups, however, I thank you for the quick and dirty lesson. I'll make use of it in the future. My last question to now is, how often do you make those triple backups? Do you make them after major edits, minor ones or both?

Collapse -
Once or twice a day.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 2, 2009 6:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Lesson learned

My example shows a project I am working on. The backup.zip is 20MB so my 20 dollar 8GB drive holds about 400 backups.

That gives me a year on that drive and I have another copy on another place, and so on.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.