Audio & Video Software forum


Dual Volume Control Headphones for the Hearing Impaired

by Anastasius Vetch / July 11, 2012 2:53 AM PDT

I hope I have posted this in the right place.

I have been looking for a long time for a pair of earphones with dual volume controls. This used to be a fairly common thing but now all the manufacturers seem to have stopped making them! What has happened? Does anyone know please why these ear phones are no longer being made, and what do people such as myself do when we have less than perfect hearing and the range is different in each ear?

To be specific, I need these so that I can hear the dialogue when watching movies on my Kindle Fire. Speech clarity is more important to me than music quality. I would prefer over the ear rather than in the ear.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dual Volume Control Headphones for the Hearing Impaired
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dual Volume Control Headphones for the Hearing Impaired
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Dual as in two headphones with independant control?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 14, 2012 2:03 AM PDT

For that I use a splitter and then the usual headphones with the volume controls.

And since any decent technician could make something custom since there is no magic involved, if you wanted something custom, then have it made.

Collapse -
Re: clarification
by Anastasius Vetch / July 15, 2012 2:33 AM PDT

In my first sentence I say I am looking for a pair of earphones with dual volume controls. Meaning, one pair of earphones with separate volume controls for the left and right ear. Usually the volume controls are on the ear pieces. or they used to be. In the good old days earphones such as these were easy to come by, Radio Shack sold them, but now for some reason the manufacturers seem to have stopped making them.

Anyway since posting before, someone kindly directed me to the Sennheiser HD65 TV which I sent for and am now trying out. They have separate volume controls, (for left and right ear) and a long extension wire to plug into the TV. The only trouble is, when the earphones are plugged into the TV it mutes it for anyone else in the room. So the long and short of it is, when watching TV either I am deaf or they are!

These earphones (for anyone else who may be interested) make speech much clearer, they do not use batteries, (thank goodness) the ear pieces are very comfortable and the volume controls are not on the earpieces they are on a switch by your hand so that you can see exactly what you are doing and regulate the volume accordingly.

The down side apart from muting the TV, is that the very long wire for TV viewing is not detachable so one is trailing the wire about and getting it tangled up when using the headphones for other things eg. Kindle Fire. This is a design fault, the wire should be detachable with a shorter wire enclosed even if it means charging more for the product, and since they are advertised for TV viewing they should be designed not to mute the television so that other people cannot view at the same time.

Collapse -
Thanks for that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 15, 2012 2:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: clarification

The TV mute issue is easy to solve by many means. It is trivial to fix if you have any background in electronics.

However some folk feel it's a design flaw. Go figure.

It's like a hood on a car that won't open without knowing where the latch is. Any good mechanic can fix that by showing where it is or bolting on something to make it easier to find, but the usual driver would call it a flaw because they are not a mechanic.

It depends on your point of view if this is a flaw or just something we need to adjust.

The next person would write it's a flaw to not mute the speakers when the headphone is plugged in!

Collapse -
Not a mechanic....
by Anastasius Vetch / July 15, 2012 8:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks for that.

Could you please tell me how to do that?

Collapse -
For the non-technician.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 15, 2012 9:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Not a mechanic....

An audio splitter cable from the TV with one for your headphones and the other to go to some amplified speaker bar.

About a dollar for the splitter and all over the map for the speaker set or bar.

And that was without using any technician's help!

Collapse -
OK, Bob,
by Anastasius Vetch / July 15, 2012 11:01 PM PDT


Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.