Computer Help forum

General discussion

Dual proccessors

by Clevermetal / April 8, 2007 2:52 AM PDT

Does dual processing mean that both the proccessors work at once?
eg. if i was running a game would both proccessors be running the game????
please help

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dual proccessors
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dual proccessors
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Or...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 8, 2007 2:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Dual proccessors

One CPU handles the OS and you get one full CPU's attention. You'll find some that will write no payoff but I've used such and games love dual CPUs.

Bob

Collapse -
Sort of
by jackson dougless / April 8, 2007 3:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Dual proccessors

Generally speaking, dual core CPUs or dual CPUs (SMP) won't make things faster, so much as they will make things SMOOTHER.

A game, or any other program, has to be specifically written to use more than one CPU, but you can do like Bob mentioned. Have the game running on one CPU, and everything else on a second CPU. This allows the first CPU to focus all its attention on the game, while the second CPU handles all the little requests background programs make.

If a program is written to be able to exploit dual CPUs, then things can get a significant speed boost. It's not a straight addition of clock speeds though. So if you have 2 CPUs that are each 1GHz, and you're running something such as Adobe Photoshop which will take advantage of multiple CPUs if present, it won't be like running it on a single 2GHz CPU system. In some ways the dual CPU system will be faster, and in others it will be a little slower. It all depends on how well the application programmers did the logic to break tasks up and distribute them between CPUs. It's a very difficult thing to do well, which can lead to large performance differences between two different SMP aware programs.

Right now, I don't think there's likely to be a single game out there that's SMP aware. As multi-core chips become more and more common, this may well change, but for right now there probably won't be enough of a performance gain in any game to justify the costs of a SMP board, a second CPU, etc. If you have the opportunity to inherit a SMP system, or can get one on the cheap, that would be a different story. Just being able to have a CPU dedicated entirely to a game would likely improve the experience. You may not get much in the way of added FPS, but you should be able to maintain a much more consistent FPS level.

Collapse -
May I
by frisco-rigid / April 8, 2007 1:04 PM PDT
In reply to: Sort of

May I jump in with an additional question..??
I'm probably going to get an Intel duo x6800 at 2.93GHZ...
Does one core(cpu) automatically dedicate itself to the game and the other dedicate itself automatically to running all the other tasks or is it something you gotta set or program, adjust, or what..??

Collapse -
Thankfully we never have to deal with it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 8, 2007 1:09 PM PDT
In reply to: May I

It's just something you use.

Bob

Collapse -
OK, I'm guessing
by frisco-rigid / April 8, 2007 2:24 PM PDT

That you mean it does it's duo 2 core task dedication thing automatically..??

Thank You

Collapse -
Yes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 8, 2007 11:34 PM PDT
In reply to: OK, I'm guessing

There are tomes about this which I elect not to spew here. You'll hear words like affinity and more but in short you need to go try the new units. Mostly you read negative comments from those that don't use the dual core and dual CPU machines. Try one.

Bob

Collapse -
Not always
by jackson dougless / April 8, 2007 11:01 PM PDT

As more and more programs become aware of multi-core chips, it will be less and less common that you have to have to worry about it, but the operating system tends to try and make the best decision it can if you don't give it explicit instructions. Generally that will be along the lines of once one CPU/core nears its capacity, processes are shifted to the next one. Not as good as what you could get with manual tinkering, but still better than just letting everything run on one CPU/core.

Collapse -
Thank you, it is
by frisco-rigid / April 9, 2007 8:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Not always

much clearer now...
After I get one, if it does not have instructions on how to give those explicit instructions to dedicate one of the cores(cpu's??)to just the game and to have the other operate all the other stuff, I hope to get some assistance from you guys on how to do that manual tinkering...
Sooo Cool,, Thanks again

Collapse -
Multi-Processor-HTT-Dual Core..
by castingRod47 / April 9, 2007 8:47 PM PDT

What Intel has done is to define how a processor will deal w/WORKLOADS..
So its really a batch of terminology to clear the picture on Intel Technology..
The Computer Industry seems to use a general term:Generation..
So as things go..the Processor must deal with the flow of DATA Streams..and Applications..
This tends to build up as workload..and then THREADS give up the resultant/Flow of DATA..[in laymans terms]..
What Intel has done is to quit the STALL of DATA and turn it towards OPERATIONS in some logical from of WORK..
They have used the percentages to be workload oriented in the FLOW of DATA..
The Front Side Bus..
....................this is where the situation truly has a defining moment..
Intel has just created the Instructions that give a FSB its next generation.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.