PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Dual or Quad Core?

by tubaloth / April 2, 2007 7:53 AM PDT

I have been waiting to build a new computer. Sense I now have more money then I did when I build my last one 4 years ago I kind of want to go all out.
I well be using the computer:
30% Word/Internet
10% Video Editing
30% Playing Video Games
20% Media Center (Movies/Record/Watch TV)
10% Computer Programing

I wouldn't mind going Quad Core just for future use? But is there any reason to go Quad Core? Or Just stick with Dual Core?
I probably would get the Core 2 Extreme (Dual or Quad) Sense they are so close in price why not go Quad? Which way should I go? It does seem like Quad is the future? But are we there yet?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dual or Quad Core?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dual or Quad Core?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
go dual core now
by ramarc / April 2, 2007 10:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Dual or Quad Core?

the only app category that you've listed that *could* benefit from quad core is video editting. quad core pricing will plummet in july (the qx6700 should be in the $400 range) so get a e6600 now for $300 and upgrade it to something faster later this year. you'll spend less money overall and have a faster cpu.

Collapse -
I have heard of that
by tubaloth / April 3, 2007 12:40 AM PDT
In reply to: go dual core now

I have heard that prices well drop and I am kind of already playing the waiting game. I might be able to wait until July.
Two other questions.
Sense I was going to use this as a Media Center and it probably well be left on a lot. How much more power does the Quad core use compared to dual core? are we talking twice as much power?
Second, I would like to keep the computer as quite as possible. Is the Quad louder with the fan or just buy a better fan?
Thanks

Collapse -
quad core vs dual core
by ramarc / April 3, 2007 2:58 AM PDT
In reply to: I have heard of that

a quad core will use more power and require better cooling. a heatsink/fan combo that uses a heatpipe is ideal, but some media center and small form factor cases provide their own heatsink/fans. dual core will run cooler and quieter.

Collapse -
Why would a quad core require more cooling?
by william551 / April 3, 2007 7:03 AM PDT
In reply to: quad core vs dual core

The way I understood it, the hottest processors are the single cores with the high GHz ratings (3.6). The dual core and the quad cores are lower GHz ratings, just paralleled horizontally. But they should still be cooler than the single cores.

Collapse -
the question is quad vs dual
by ramarc / April 3, 2007 11:00 PM PDT

intel qx6700 (quad core) dissipates 120W compared to 65W for a e6700. the qx6800 which comes out next monday will dissipate 150W so it will run almost 3 times hotter than a e6600. in the 3rd quarter, intel will be refreshing the core2 line and quad core heat output is expected to drop 40% or more.

Collapse -
value
by gnomesiii / April 6, 2007 10:15 AM PDT

I'd spend the money on a duo core, and the balance of what you would have paid for a quad core on a class in spelling. That would be your best value. Just my opinion ... Wink

Collapse -
Right on!
by jaysonhinds / April 8, 2007 4:53 AM PDT
In reply to: value

Very kewl post!

Collapse -
quad if you can wait
by minibeardeath / April 6, 2007 4:37 PM PDT

i know for a fact that amd is going to be releasing several new quad core cpus sometime midsummer 07.

PS. the amd athlon 64 was originally designed so that it could be expanded to 16 cores (if you can really wait :P)

Collapse -
Dual Core now or wait for the"real" Quads
by Zouch / April 8, 2007 9:39 AM PDT

If you want to start your build now, go for the best Intel Core 2 Duo you can afford. They are presently the performance leaders.

There are no true Quads currently available. Intel's so called Quad core is technically a dual dyadic, an MCM (Multi Chip Module) containing two Core 2 Duo chips, albeit, closely coupled.

A true Quad Core will have all four cores on a single chip, with the inherently faster communication between individual cores, since all can be addressed without going off chip.

Intel has a consistently good record of socket compatibility, so you should be able to upgrade to a true quad later. AMD's roadmap calls for true quads later this year and latest word is that they will fit in an AM2 socket (Athlon) or F socket (Opteron).

Collapse -
Quad vs Dual how about niether???
by gjohnsn3 / April 12, 2007 6:43 AM PDT

Here is something to think about before you go dual or quad.
Soon most new software and OS's will be written
for 64-bit processing. Companies who know that, are simply
dumping their 32-bit chips via a new marketing ploy
its called, Dual and Quad core processors.
Before you fall for the "Hype", spend large amounts of money
for Dual and Quad core 32-bit chips,and the cooling device it
etc. it takes to run them, Concern yourself with
purchasing a new 64-bit chip, AMD Turion, IBm, Intel, etc.and prepare
for the future. After all, that's what companies selling
these dual and quad core 32-bit chips are doing, they are
clear out 32-bit processors for the future of 64-bit processing.
JUST CONSIDER THIS, before angsting over this fad ( for fad, see "fading")trend.
G

Collapse -
How soon is that soon...
by steve749 / April 12, 2007 7:06 AM PDT

I'm just wondering as how long have AMD and Intel had a 64-bit chip out there? I'm thinking a while and so there is a chicken and egg sort of battle going on about the 64 bit stuff as there is a 64-bit Windows XP version as well as Vista but there are driver issues that seem to be needed for wide acceptance but the makers of the hardware need wide acceptance before making those drivers, so what will break the stalemate? In the server world there are some applications that will require a 64-bit O/S like Exchange 2007 but I wonder what desktop or laptop application could need more than 4 GB of memory to run properly.

Regards,
JB

Collapse -
Way of the Future?
by tubaloth / April 13, 2007 4:20 AM PDT

The only real reason I even considered Quad is because it seems like its the future?!? More Cores the better?

If I can re-ask another questions (with my bad spelling?) What motherboard is best for Quad Core now? I don't really plan to do much overclocking, just want the computer to be quite? I have seen the 680i's and thought of going that route, but I wonder if I'm paying more then what I need? (maybe 650i would do?)

Is there going to be better chip sets come up by July?

Thanks!

Collapse -
There will be new ones....
by steve749 / April 13, 2007 4:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Way of the Future?

Look up "Bearlake" which is Intel's next chipset for the desktop that is supposed to be out in May I think.

Regards,
JB

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?