Desktops forum

General discussion

Dual Monitors via USB 2.0

Hello,

I am having trouble connecting dual monitors. My computer has only one VGA output so I bought a USB VGA 2.0 to use to connect my second monitor (26 inch LCD screen). I have updated the drivers, but when I go to Display Settings, only one monitor is being shown. I am having trouble finding any online troubleshooting guides. I am not sure what to try next. Can anyone offer any ideas? Here is what I am running:

Here is a link to the USB device that I have:

http://www.abccables.com/305-9151.html

Windows VISTA
HP a6200n
AMD Athlon (tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+ 2.60 GHz
RAM: 2942 MB
32-bit Operating System

My graphics cards info:
Generic PNP Monitor on NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE n Force 430
DAC Type: Integrated RAMDAC
Adapter String: GeForce 6150SE n Force 430
Bios Information: Version 5.61.32.20.1
Total Available Graphics Memory: 1343 MB
Dedicated Video Memory: 128 MB
System Video Memory: 0 MB
Shared System Memory: 1215 MB

I am new to this forum, so if I left anything important out, please let me know and I will include that information.

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dual Monitors via USB 2.0
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dual Monitors via USB 2.0
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Vista was not listed at that link.

In reply to: Dual Monitors via USB 2.0

"Windows 2000 / XP compatible"

Oops. Return it for something that lists Vista.

Collapse -
maybe...

In reply to: Vista was not listed at that link.

I just searched and found that link. That is not the place I bought it from. I bought it off ebay, and the seller had it listed as VISTA compatible. So, I searched to find other dealers, and found this website:

http://www.ambery.com/vgatousb20vi.html

This one has it listed as Vista compatible. It appears to be the same device that I have.

I guess that it may not be compatible, but I hate to toss it aside if that is not it.

Collapse -
when you plug in the device, what happens?

In reply to: Dual Monitors via USB 2.0

what type of device appears in device manager? you should get a new "Display Adapter." if not, something's up with your usb device detection and/or driver.

Collapse -
it shows up...

In reply to: when you plug in the device, what happens?

In device manager, it shows up under USB controllers as "USB 2.0 VGA DEVICE-1", but it does not show up under the display adapters heading. The display adapter reads "NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430" only.

Collapse -
did you install the drivers before plugging in the device?

In reply to: it shows up...

if you don't have another display adapter show up, then the driver install is bad.

delete the video device you mentioned in device manager. then unplug the video device and reboot. install the provided drivers and then plug in the video device. do you get a new display adapter?

Collapse -
Success!!

In reply to: did you install the drivers before plugging in the device?

It worked! Thanks for your help. That's what I get for being impatient when taking a new gadget out of its box. I will keep that in mind for next time. Thanks again!!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.