HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Dual Monitor's Problem HELP!

by fruitbooterld / September 18, 2008 3:41 AM PDT

For about 5 months i had two monitors installed and they were working fine. i decided i needed the extra cash so i disconnect my second monitor after removing it from my nvidia control panel. now when i open some programs they only show on my taskbar but not on my main monitor. i have connected another monitor with the same settings and it doesnt open on that monitor either... i have no clue to fix it and have tried unistalling my video card drivers from hardware manager. i have tried unistalling the programs and re installing and i even went into bios to see if they were opening on onboard invisible monitor but there was no setting for that in my bios. please help any suggestions would be great

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dual Monitor's Problem HELP!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dual Monitor's Problem HELP!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just a thought
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 18, 2008 4:48 AM PDT

I know you said you removed the 2nd monitor from the Nvidia control panel, but did you also go into Windows' Display Properties > Settings, to ensure Windows doesn't still think you have two monitors?

I'm not convinced that would be the answer, especially as you have tried connecting another 2nd monitor, but it s worth a try.

If that doesn't work, try this.

With the application icon showing on the Taskbar, right click that icon and select Move. Without moving the mouse, click and hold down the left mouse button. (If you move the mouse before holding the click, you have to start again). Now, drag to the left. Selecting Move should fix the mouse cursor on the application header bar, so left click, hold, and dragging should move the application back into view.

If the Move option is grayed out, select the Restore option. Tha should reduce the hidden window from Maximized to normal size.

If that works, then just minimize the window, restore it, and it should now be fixed on the primary monitor.

Hope that helps.

Mark

Collapse -
neither worked.
by fruitbooterld / September 18, 2008 4:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Just a thought

when i clicked the move it moved my mouse cursor to the left of my screen and stopped right on the edge not allowing me to move it at all

Collapse -
also
by fruitbooterld / September 18, 2008 4:58 AM PDT
In reply to: neither worked.

i can see the four sided compass that normally shows when you can move an item but it will not allow me to move it. Sad i hate this

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.