Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Dual hard drive install

So I went to turn on my computer and it went to the apparently common "system32\hal.dll is corrupt/missing, please reinstall" message. I am thinking about getting a hard drive out of one of my older computers, putting it in my new computer, formatting and putting the OS on that disk as the master, and setting the other drive as the slave. Then I could access the files I need on the new computer, and also having Windows on its own disk would prevent future data loss. Any ideas on how this will work? I have tried other ways to restore my current setup, but nothing worked.

Dave

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dual hard drive install
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dual hard drive install
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Should work

In reply to: Dual hard drive install

Just so long as you don't try and bring over an existing Windows install.

Collapse -
I hope so

In reply to: Should work

I don't want to lose my 35 gigs of music and 1000s of digital pictures. So I'll just load in the 4 gig drive (from the old computer) and take out the 250 gig and run a Windows install, and then once that system is up and running I will shut down and put the all-important 250 gig in as a slave and start to retrieve my files. When done, I will probably reformat the important 250 drive and reinstall my programs, leaving the setup as Windows being installed on the old 4 gig and my programs/ other important stuff on the 250 gig, and if I ever have a problem again, having Windows on its own disk will keep me safe from data loss.

Unless I am missing something here, it seems simple enough. Any other feedback I receive will help me out immensely, as I am new to this building/ repairing PCs world.

Collapse -
Slave/ Master

In reply to: Dual hard drive install

So will I just set the little 4 Gig that will house Windows XP to "Master" and the bigger 250 gig that I will add once the system is stable to "slave"? And does it matter which end of the cable each drive gets? The ribbon cable has one end with the mobo connector and one end with a connector half way up and another at the end. Can these each go anywhere or is one set for the master and one for slave? And will I need to set up RAID or can I just run them as separates?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!