PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Dual display trouble

by brianf666 / January 25, 2006 7:02 AM PST

My system:
Athlon 2600, 512Mb RAM, Radeon 9600, two Iiyama 17" crt, WInDVD software. Windows XP SP1
I want to play full-screen dvd on one monitor and use my PC for general work on the other monitor at the same time.
My DVD only shows the video if it's on the primary monitor but if I then open a program it is hidden behind the full-screen DVD. If I move the DVD to the secondary monitor I get sound but no picture.

Does anyone know a configuration I can use to get what I need?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dual display trouble
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dual display trouble
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Dual display trouble
by Bongo_SWE / January 25, 2006 7:35 AM PST
In reply to: Dual display trouble

I think you can try whit a other software DVD player that is newer and try whit a newer display driver.....
If you still have the problem it is becorse config of the grafikcard driver is neede. You can do that on your desktop. you have to set the two screen's as differnt one's (Dual Weiw) so they can work sepratly and you have to enabel (''Videooverlay'') ......
Good luck to you and if you nead more help you can try ATI forum =) or here again.

Best regardes Thomas persson
IT Doktor

Collapse -
change desired device to primary display?
by adhd4ever / January 25, 2006 7:40 AM PST

I had this same problem when trying to use windows media player with dual display (trying to play things on the connected TV). By changing the second display device to the primary display device (in display settings) it worked just fine.

Collapse -
Negative co-ordinates
by Phyrefly / January 25, 2006 7:45 PM PST

Some programs have problems displaying (and some other, more finnicky problems) - if your secondary monitor is to the left of your primary. I think it has to do with the fact that the display co-ordinated are negative, and the software can't handle that.

If you switch them around, you should be ok, or just switch the settings around so that the left hand monitor (physically) is to the right of the other one (logically) - at least just while watching your DVD.

I used to have this problem with Media Player, but the latest version fixed it, and I can keep my smaller monitor to the left now Happy

Collapse -
Catalyst blues
by brianf666 / January 26, 2006 2:34 AM PST

Thanks for your ideas, paople. I have discovered the problem. The Catalyst control program does not allow video on secondary monitor in ''home'' mode and I can't change the mode for some reason. As I originally explained, I need my primary display on windows so that new programs opened are not hidden behind the dvd full screen. If anyone knows how I can get the catalyst to allow switching to ''clone'' or whatever mode does allow video on the secondary display, then we'll have the answer.

Ta for your ideas anyway, they steered me in the right direction.

Collapse -
Thanks to Motion Picture Industry
by Dutchmants / January 26, 2006 6:19 AM PST

While it's been a couple of years since I first looked into this isue and found an answer this is what I remember. First off unless the software player vendor has paid an additional licensing fee to let ssee is it the MPAA they are only allowed to output the DVD video onto the primary display. I have found that on a system in our conference room where we have the system connected to a projector for presentations setting the projector as the primary display works fine since we just want to mirror the primary and secondary display. And no we don't play commercial DVD movies in the conference room we have some industry produced disk plus some in house ittems but the viewere makes no distinction between where or how the media was produced. In your case the best answer is to purchase a retail (most oem viewers are cripples) copy of one of the many fine DVD players out there. Just double check with the vendor that the version you are looking at supports output to multiple displays. If you system came with something like Power DVD there are many times reduced cost upgrade paths from the OEM versions to a full version. The additional cost of the commercial version of a player like Power DVD is to help offset the cost of licensing the company has to pay to the industry. I purchased a commercial version of one player for my laptop so that I could play movies via the TV out on the laptop without having to make that my primary display.

Good luck I hope this helps.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?