HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Dual booting windows XP & VISTA on a RAID Array

by chaslie-2008 / March 19, 2008 8:29 PM PDT

I have windows vista installed on a raid array, and when i try to install windows XP it asks for the 3rd party driver which i have on a floppy.

I then can get through the next couple of screens, however after it creates the \windows directory on the partition I have set it asks me for another set of drivers to be put into the floppy disk, this is where the problem start, any ideas what drivers its asking for?

The only drivers I can find are the intel mass storage drivers but these are larger than the floppy disk...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dual booting windows XP & VISTA on a RAID Array
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dual booting windows XP & VISTA on a RAID Array
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just for clarity.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 19, 2008 9:49 PM PDT

Supply a link to that driver at intel.com. So far, everytime I've heard that I find it was some forgotten step like running some extraction, reading the read.me to create the floppy proper. But without the link and you telling me which file in question I can't guess since there are too many at intel.com
Bob

Collapse -
here's the link
by chaslie-2008 / March 19, 2008 10:55 PM PDT
In reply to: Just for clarity.
Collapse -
You have to run it on a working machine...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 19, 2008 10:57 PM PDT
In reply to: here's the link

You are talking about item 5 " Creates floppy disk for 32-bit OS with Intel

Collapse -
dual boot
by chaslie-2008 / March 20, 2008 5:01 AM PDT

Already done that, I have a floppy disk with all the drivers on. It goes through this the problem is after I press F8 and it starts writing the window files to the drive partition selected. It then asks for the "Intel mass media storage device drivers"

Collapse -
But that does not jive with your first post.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 20, 2008 5:05 AM PDT
In reply to: dual boot

"The only drivers I can find are the intel mass storage drivers but these are larger than the floppy disk..."

Also you didn't answer my question about number 5.
Bob

Collapse -
does not "jive"
by chaslie-2008 / March 20, 2008 5:18 AM PDT

yes it does, i've downloaded number 2 (these are the correct ones for my system)

can you offer any help are not?

Collapse -
Good luck.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 20, 2008 5:22 AM PDT
In reply to: does not "jive"

If I upset you I apologize. But rather than chance this I'll just unsubscribe. Bob

Collapse -
So tell us the NAME of the executable ...
by Edward ODaniel / March 20, 2008 6:17 AM PDT
In reply to: does not "jive"

you used to create that floppy driver disk?

F6flp64.exe or F6flp32.exe?

Did you read the README file for what you downloaded? You are REQUIRED to select the proper ececutable by determining the type of processor you have - 32 bit or 64 bit.

Running the proper executable creates the proper floppy to "feed" from the F6 prompt.

Collapse -
options
by chaslie-2008 / March 22, 2008 9:00 PM PDT

I've used the 32 bit set up files.

Another option is that i have an external hard disk, and my laptop will boot from an external hard disk, so can i install windows on this?

Collapse -
With some work, yes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 22, 2008 10:14 PM PDT
In reply to: options
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.