HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

Question

Dual booting linux and windows7

by vivekg117 / August 4, 2012 2:53 AM PDT

I am using hp envy4 1002TX ultrabook which has a 32gb SSD drive with a normal 500gb drive and has no internal dvd drive.Although i have an external DVD player/writer.

Currently I am using windows7 which came installed with the laptop. I need to work on linux now so I tried to dual boot my pc.Can you please guide me the best method to do so.Should I do it using a bootable pendrive or boot it using a CD or install in in one of my partitions.

Although I tried to install linux though a CD/DVD in one of my partitions but during the installation it is'nt showing any of the drives/partitions of my pc to which I can install linux .I think this is happening because I am using an external dvd player and it is not able to read the drives properly.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dual booting linux and windows7
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dual booting linux and windows7
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Which Linux?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 4, 2012 4:08 AM PDT

Old versions often do not show new drive systems. Try Ubuntu next time.

I keep running into folk that must run some Redhat version 5 and to solve that we do not install it but install it to a VirtualBox machine. See VIRTUALBOX on google.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Linux
by pgc3 / August 4, 2012 10:24 AM PDT

Depending on how you want to use Linux/Ubuntu/Kubuntu you could use the WUBI installer to set up Linux dual boot from within Windows, that is another way to go. Just go to a search engine type in WUBI installer and take a look at it to see if it might not fit your needs.

Collapse -
Answer
Dual booting
by mchainmchain / August 4, 2012 5:37 PM PDT

Ubuntu requires that Windows 7 be installed first.

Download the .iso file (note the file extension name) can be gotten here: http://www.ubuntu.com/download

This LTS (Long Term Service) is supported for five years for free, up from three years in older versions.

You burn this .iso file to a CD or DVD and make it bootable. The install wizard program within the CD is very easy to understand, and very comprehensive, and makes it very easy to install Ubuntu. You will have to tell it to set a new partition just for Ubuntu, you set the size of the partition (Ubuntu doesn't need much; 20-50 GB should be enough)

You can run this CD/DVD as a Live CD/DVD without making any changes to your system. When the laptop is restarted after inserting the media in the drive, just watch for three things:

1.) keyboard/little man icons appear at the bottom of the screen. Hit enter right away.
2.) "Try Ubuntu without making changes" will appear. Hit enter.
3.) Drop down menu will appear; default is English. Hit enter.

Takes about seven or eight minutes for the desktop to appear on my system, it is slow to load.

If you like what you see, click the icon for installing Ubuntu upper left of desktop.

Like anything else, the dual boot MBR can break. When that happens, dual booting can be lost, just so you know. I find the best solution to that is to get an older computer, and install Ubuntu by itself on that instead.

Collapse -
Separate system
by pgc3 / August 5, 2012 4:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Dual booting

Using a separate system to run Linux is a good way to go but I have dual booted with Linux for years and have had very few problems and I run it as dual boot on several different systems. Still, ideally I concur that having a separate Linux set up is a pretty safe way to go. Linux is a really fun OS and I have talked many people into using it over the years with very few complaints once they get the hang of it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.