HolidayBuyer's Guide

Linux forum

General discussion

Dual-Booting Linux

by Kurogin / February 16, 2008 12:42 AM PST

Hey there, I'm trying to dual-boot my HP Pavilion a6110n pc running windows vista home premium to dual-boot with linux (most likely kubuntu or ubuntu), could someone please give my some instructions on how to make this work? And another question about linux, I'm running a Zonet ZEW1602 wireless b/g card in my pavilion a6110n, how is the wireless support on linux ubuntu/kubuntu?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dual-Booting Linux
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dual-Booting Linux
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Isn't that an option in Ubuntu?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 16, 2008 1:31 AM PST
In reply to: Dual-Booting Linux

That is, when you boot the Ubuntu CD it's install options give you this dual boot. Also, the ubuntu web details this and many options so what are asking for that is not documented?

Bob

Collapse -
MBR
by welrdelr / February 16, 2008 3:52 AM PST

You should pay attention to Rprofitt's post and:
1) be sure you have resized the Windows' partition if you are sharing the same drive. If not, you'll jhave to do a boot from in the BIOS.
Documentation for wireless support of linux can be found by typing http://www.google.com/linux pressing enter and then making a search with the queries you have stated here. Be sure to look at the support and if you will need anything extra. For me- and this is only for me- I've had to enable networking after installing Ubuntu

Search through my posts for the knoppix tutorials.

A word to the wise: research.

Collapse -
When partitioning..
by Mailman / February 20, 2008 11:31 AM PST
In reply to: MBR

... a dual boot with XP Pro, can the partition containing the Ubuntu installation be deleted giving the entire drive back to XP, if I don't like Linux? I made the Ubuntu installation CD, but can't find this in the instructions anywhere.

~Dave

Collapse -
Unfortuneately, yes
by welrdelr / February 20, 2008 8:11 PM PST
In reply to: When partitioning..

Read my tutorials and learn the partitioner functions.

How are you not able to use the Ubuntu distribution when it is so well documented and supported that elementary schoolchildren in third world countries can operate it?

Collapse -
Thanks for the scolding.
by Mailman / February 20, 2008 9:28 PM PST
In reply to: Unfortuneately, yes

I guess it has a lot to do with vocabulary. Trying a new technology has an added component. Learning, essentially, a new language. Even though I read the tutorials, sometimes it still makes not much sense to me. So I come here for the masters to clarify for me. If you have no time for children, then maybe you should not be here trying to "help".

~Dave

Collapse -
Next time, go to the Linux forums
by welrdelr / February 21, 2008 3:07 PM PST

Because the documentation there is better than anyone here can give you, including moderators and editors.

Collapse -
I will take...
by Mailman / February 21, 2008 9:46 PM PST
Collapse -
That is the forum.
by welrdelr / February 22, 2008 1:53 AM PST
In reply to: I will take...

ubuntuforums.org is another.
You can also get help from forums.debian.net

Collapse -
I have...
by Mailman / February 22, 2008 2:56 AM PST
In reply to: That is the forum.

...bookmarked those sites. Many thanks for your input.

~Dave

Collapse -
Deleting the partition and going back is something not fun.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 20, 2008 9:34 PM PST
In reply to: When partitioning..

There are tutorials out there but I want to share that even with that I found the boot manager to get mangled to the point that even booting the XP CD and following the instructions on how to run fixboot, fixmbr, and more didn't work. Those that don't own a bona fide XP (full version) CD should not uninstall Linux but just cheat.

I gave up on one box and here's my cheat. I removed the linux partitions and it didn't work. But I was able to use GPARTED to make the XP partition larger and then installed a 2GB mini install of the Linux version in use and viola it was working again. This may not be your goal but for me it was close enough.

Bob

Collapse -
Thank you, Sir...
by Mailman / February 20, 2008 10:56 PM PST

...that helps me.

~Dave

Collapse -
Success!.....sort of.
by Mailman / February 21, 2008 9:00 PM PST

Well, I found an old unused 30GB drive. I put it in the removable tray of my mobile rack, where I keep my Acronis back up images, and installed Ubuntu on it. It was a very smooth and fast install. I got on the internet, I checked email. I had it download and install 188 updates to the program. Very stable and fairly easy to use. Has a learning curve, but I think I could have been happy with it eventually.

What I didn't realize was that it would create a dual boot segment in the MBR of my SATA XP drive. So when I tried to put my backup drive in the removable tray, and boot into windows I just got an error that it couldn't find a certain file right after the POST. The only thing I could do was boot the XP install cd and use the Recovery Console to fix the MBR. So now I can boot XP normally and use my backup drive. But the Ubuntu drive will not boot.

If I try this again, I guess I will have to disconnect my XP drive before installing Ubuntu in the spare drive in the tray.

Any suggestions for a Windows XP emulator to install next time I try this? If I migrate to Ubuntu, I'd like to be able to run certain Windows programs I have.

Thanks,

~Dave

Collapse -
Actually it's VMWARE
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 21, 2008 9:08 PM PST
In reply to: Success!.....sort of.

You get a virtual machine and install to that.

Bob

Collapse -
I had tried to install Wine,
by Mailman / February 21, 2008 9:25 PM PST
In reply to: Actually it's VMWARE

...on someone's suggestion, for this purpose, but couldn't figure out how to install it. Like I say, there's a learning curve. At least for me. If I find I will migrate to Ubuntu permanently, I might spend the $99 for VMWARE. How does it work? By setting up another partition?

~Dave

Collapse -
How does it work?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 21, 2008 9:40 PM PST

Sorry but for that you go to the internet. I can't duplicate the answer here. Again, sorry about that.

Bob

Collapse -
You have been..
by Mailman / February 21, 2008 9:43 PM PST
In reply to: How does it work?

...more than patient and helpful. And I thank you so very much for the advise.

~Dave

Collapse -
Mr. Profitt...
by Mailman / February 23, 2008 11:50 AM PST
In reply to: How does it work?

...I have had someone recommend BOOTITNG as a possible solution to my little problem. Do you have any comments about this program possibly helping me accomplish what I would like to do?

Thanks,

~Dave

Collapse -
VMWARE (what we discussed last)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 23, 2008 12:26 PM PST
In reply to: Mr. Profitt...

Is not bootitng. But if you are having a boot issue, let me share I fixed mine without cost. I just installed linux one more time and used grub for the boot manager.

I have never needed to use bootitng.

Bob

Collapse -
Ok, let me get this straight.
by Mailman / February 23, 2008 8:35 PM PST

I have a mobile rack. On the drive in the removable tray I have Acronis images backed up. So I need to be able to get to that drive for backing up.

I have another drive I want to put into the tray with which to install Ubuntu for testing purposes.

When I'm not "playing around" with Ubuntu, I want to put the back up drive back into the tray and boot into XP. Which means the Ubuntu drive is no longer connected to the computer.

I tried this and the booting stopped right after the POST. I got the message that it could not find something (GRUB?) and the booting stopped with that message.

I want to be able to use the Ubuntu drive when I want to "mess" with Linux. Then I want to be able to remove it from the machine and still boot into XP.

I thought the dual boot function would default to the OS it could find, if the other one was not present. This seems to not be the case. If it can't find both, it seems to stop. So I was looking for a boot manager which would allow for this.

Maybe I didn't explain this enough, but I'm doing the best I can.

Thanks,

~Dave

Collapse -
That's squarely a grub issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 23, 2008 9:08 PM PST
Collapse -
That's right.
by Mailman / February 23, 2008 9:23 PM PST

I booted the XP install CD and ran fixmbr from the recovery console. Now I can boot into XP and use my back up drive in the tray again. But the Ubuntu drive won't boot if I put it into the mobile rack.

I want to be able to change the boot order in my BIOS to have the drive in the mobile rack boot before my XP drive when Ubuntu is present. Then when I remove the Ubuntu drive, I want it to go to the XP drive when no OS is found on the mobile rack drive.

~Dave

Collapse -
To boot Ubuntu in that case we use
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 23, 2008 9:25 PM PST

A boot CD with grub for that drive (or diskette or usb stick or floppy or...)

There are many fine boot managers out there and you'll have to test what works with your removable media.

Bob

Collapse -
I think GAG might be right for this use.
by Mailman / February 23, 2008 9:52 PM PST

Do you have an opinion on this?

Thanks,

~Dave

Collapse -
Sorry about that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 23, 2008 9:57 PM PST

I use the native methods, no disk trays in the office, home or labs. We found them to be troublesome to the point of interfering with the work that needed to be done.

So while I can recover from most mashups, this is an area I will be weak on since we don't use such software because we don't need to go beyond GRUB or other common solutions.

Bob

Collapse -
Well thank you for all your trouble.
by Mailman / February 23, 2008 10:08 PM PST
In reply to: Sorry about that.

I will experiment with GRUB, maybe GRUB2, and also BootITNG to see what is best.Thanks very much for your kind help.

~Dave

Collapse -
BTW...
by Mailman / February 24, 2008 5:46 AM PST
In reply to: Sorry about that.

...I used to use my mobile rack exclusively. Back when I still had Windows 3.1 and Windows 95 came out, I got an evaluation copy of 95 to try out. I was running 3.1 in a drive tray, and put 95 in another tray. Then when 98 was released, I put that one in another tray. No matter what OS I wanted to boot, it was in it's own tray and there was no dual boot issue at all. I just had several removable trays labeled with the OS they contained. I'm still using that tray, but since it's an IDE connection, I can't use it since my current computer came with a SATA drive inside, with XP on it.

It might solve all my problems to just get a SATA mobile rack and a couple drives, and just use that with my different OS's in different trays. I would keep one internal drive for back up images and to transfer files between systems. No need for a dual boot ever with that set up.

~Dave

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.