Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Dual boot XP/VISTA Partitioning problem

by julien2 / May 2, 2007 10:44 AM PDT

My laptop came with Vista preinstalled. I have no Vista CD, except for a recovery CD.

I wanted to install a dual-boot to use Windows XP as well.

My partitions were C: with Vista installed on it, D: with random data on it and E: being my CD/DVD reader. I created a new partition labelled F: using the integrated partition manager within Vista.

I then booted my computer with a Windows XP installation CD. I ran the installation normally (select a partition, then the installation program formats F - or so I thought). At that point, the installation program is supposed to reboot the computer and continue installation.

That's where it get complicated

No Vista boot, no XP installation program.

And my CD reader does not seem to work anymore. I cant boot from a CD...

Sad

I believe there was a messup with the partition labels...

What should I do !?!?!?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dual boot XP/VISTA Partitioning problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dual boot XP/VISTA Partitioning problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Well,, you are right, it is now very complicated.
by retired / May 2, 2007 11:19 AM PDT

First of all one cannot install XP after Vista for a dual boot setup because with any dual boot the operating systems have to be installed progressively, I.E. 98,ME,XP,VISTA in that order. You will need to enter the BIOS and set the optical drive as first boot. Hopefully you can still use the Vista recover CD to boot with and do a repair install of vista but at this point you may have to reformat and start all over again. Someone else may have a better option.

Collapse -
no problem !
by julien2 / May 2, 2007 11:53 AM PDT

alright ! how do i access the bios ?

how do i format ?

thanks again !

Collapse -
if you can use your XP CD... try
by mark04276 / May 2, 2007 12:31 PM PDT
In reply to: no problem !

if you can start the XP install again the same way you did

boot to your XP install cd then when asked select R for recovery. When you get to the prompt type "Bootcfg /default" without quotes

"/default sets the operating system to the boot menu. In other words, it will scan your system and automatically set the one entry it defines as your default boot. If it finds a couple, it will pop up and give you a choice of which one you want to make the default, if you have more than one operating system."

This may work for you

Collapse -
by julien2 / May 3, 2007 3:20 AM PDT

i cant seem to boot from any CD

nor can i access the bios...

Sad

thanks !

Collapse -
woot
by julien2 / May 3, 2007 4:58 AM PDT
In reply to: reply

I actually found a way to enter BIOS:

Now I have this

AMIBIOS (copyright) American Megatrends, INC.
BIOS Date: 01/12/07 Ver: G1AS.208
CPU: Intel (R) Core (TM) 2 CPU T7200 @ 2.00 GHz

Press F2 to run setup
Press ESC to for BBS POPUP
The MCH is operating with DDR2 667/CL5 in Dual-Channel Interleaved Mode
Initializing USB Controllers.. Done.
2048 MB OK

Auto-Detecting Pri Maser..IDE Hard Disk
Auto-Detecting Sec Master..ATAPI CDROM
Pri Master: Hitachi HTS541616J9SA00 SB40C70P
Ultra DMA Mode-5, S.M.A.R.T Capable and Status OK

I have pressed F2, yet nothing happens.

Any help !?!
Thanks very much !!

Collapse -
are you pressing it soon enough
by mark04276 / May 3, 2007 5:12 AM PDT
In reply to: woot

Try hitting repeatedly the F2 key as soon as you turn on the computer that way you know you hit it soon enough.

Collapse -
yo
by julien2 / May 3, 2007 9:06 AM PDT

I did what you think. But I only get the same screen I described !

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?