Linux forum

General discussion

Dual Boot XP and Ubuntu Problem

ok so i have a laptop that has the ability to accept en external hardrive by taking out the CD/DVD Driver...both of my hard drive are SATA. In the internal HDD Windows xp Pro SP3 is installed and in the external HDD Ubuntu (whit the last kernel) is installed...now the problem is that when i was installing Ubuntu in the external HDD I stupidly made the external hardrive to be the main or the mother boot. In other words if i where to take out the external HDD (where ubuntu is installed) and put back the CD/DVD driver...the computer would not boot up.....and it wont allow me to boot from Window...

Now i know the easies solutions is Reinstall but i dont want to do that so if anybody have some advice on what i should do then that will be great...

P.S i havent made any changes to neither of the boots (GRUB - which the linux boot) and the windows boot...

P.S.S I am completely new to this kind of things i have some what of knowledge but please try to keep it simple..Thank u in advance (and English is not my first language)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dual Boot XP and Ubuntu Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dual Boot XP and Ubuntu Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I am wondering...

In reply to: Dual Boot XP and Ubuntu Problem

If you throw the XP CD and use the Repair choice it will install the NT Loader.

Collapse -
Repair Windows/Linux bootloader

In reply to: Dual Boot XP and Ubuntu Problem

Hi,
I new to Linux as well and I found a great app called EascBCD by at neosmart.net to repair a Vista/Linux install. I believe they also have a version for XP. EasyBCD a bootloader creator/editor/repair tool that will allow you to repair your Windows bootloader on your Master Boot Record (MBR). After performing the repair, boot back into Windows and then run EasyBCD again. This time add an entry to your Windows bootloader for your Linux OS (I like Grub2)so you can dual (or more) boot. The support documentation at neosmart is very good. Good luck.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!