Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Dual Boot Windows XP and Windows Vista

by stb_ryken_stryker / January 28, 2009 8:41 AM PST

Is it possible to have a Vista based system and then load XP on the same system and switch between the two. I know mac's have something similar to this but i have an HP dv7 pavilion notebook with an AMD Turion x2 Dual-core mobile RM-70 2ghz processor, 4 gb of ram, ATI Radeon HD 3200 graphics chip set, and 156GB of free harddrive space.
If this is possible how do i go about doing it?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dual Boot Windows XP and Windows Vista
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dual Boot Windows XP and Windows Vista
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Where will you install XP?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 28, 2009 7:47 PM PST

Same hard disk, or different? If the same hard disk, is it already partitioned into two or more partitions?

This How to dual boot Vista and XP walkthrough may help.

But remember, you will have to find all the drivers for the XP install yourself, and if your drive is SATA, you may need to look up how to install the SATA drivers during the XP install.

Mark

Collapse -
same hard disk
by stb_ryken_stryker / January 28, 2009 9:26 PM PST

same hard disk. i will partion it. it is a sata drive. if i bought a licensed version of xp would it come with all the drivers?

Collapse -
No, afraid not
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 29, 2009 1:41 AM PST
In reply to: same hard disk

The Windows XP CD doesn't come with any drivers for specific models, and you will have to do your research before going ahead.

Also, re-partitioning a Vista disk and installing XP onto the newly created partition will disable Vista's boot loader. That is what boots up Vista after the computer is turned on, and the BIOS goes through its POST process.

John Wilkinson has created a Tips and Tricks thread in the Vista Forum, and below is part of one post about Dual Booting;
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1.) Many have found the need to enter their system BIOS and disable SATA/RAID support, if such an option exists, in order for the Windows XP installer to correctly recognize the hard drive and successfully install Windows XP. Motherboard drivers, available from the manufacturer, may also be needed during installation.

2.) Most manufacturers are not offering XP-compatible drivers for computers with Vista preinstalled, so you are on your own to track down drivers for older but similar models. You can also check the manufacturerʼs website for each individual component (graphics card, sound card, etc) using the information obtained by the free application Everest.

3.) Installing a previous version of Windows after Windows Vista will cause Vista to become temporarily unbootable, leaving you with access to Windows XP only. To resolve this problem you must follow the instructions found in Microsoft KB919529 or, alternatively, use VistaBootPRO to reinstall the Windows Boot Manager.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The full post is here;
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-12546_102-0.html?forumID=133&threadID=238817&messageID=2433843&tag=forums06;posts#2433843

As you can see, it is not a simple process, and in particular I feel, you need to research more what John says about SATA. I may be wrong, but I don't think that is the full story. XP needs specific drivers to recognize SATA drives, and these have to be installed during the XP installation process.

John may have more information if you post a question in the Vista forum.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

Mark

Collapse -
Very Helpful
by stb_ryken_stryker / January 29, 2009 5:07 AM PST
In reply to: No, afraid not

that was really helpful i might just go buy a harddrive for my old computer with xp already on it cause that sounds like a lot less trouble. thanks.

Collapse -
If you do.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 29, 2009 6:27 PM PST
In reply to: Very Helpful

I'm not sure that's possible, (new hard drive with XP already installed), but if you do, you will still have to look up how to make the computer dual boot.

So head over to the Vista forum when you have installed it, and see if they can offer any advice.

Mark

Collapse -
Couple of things...
by Slikkster / January 29, 2009 7:09 PM PST
In reply to: Very Helpful

I don't see how it would be possible to buy a drive with XP already installed. It needs to be installed for your particular system and hardware. So, it has to be done manually by you.

Now, how to do it and make sure everything runs afterwards?

Follow these instructions:

http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/Installing+XP+After+Vista

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?