General discussion

Dual boot windows 7 and windows xp

i have windows 7 home premium as my main OS on my C drive.Created a partition on my extra internal D drive (named I: in win 7).and installed XP pro on it.Then my system wouldnt give a choice of boot at startup just would boot xp. Used windows 7 cd and repaired windows 7 and it now boots into windows 7 but startup doesnt give me a choice of OS to boot into.
ANY advice would be appreciated on how to boot into XP when i want to but still allowing win7 to boot as my OS of choice.
Thank you in Advance

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Dual boot windows 7 and windows xp
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Dual boot windows 7 and windows xp
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
The supported method is.

Install the older OS first. If you want to research this, type this at google.com or bing.com

HOW DO I INSTALL XP AFTER WINDOWS 7?

You'll find this discussed at many sites.
Bob

- Collapse -
Just use Win 7's XP Mode

Just use Win 7's XP Mode. It'll be a whole lot easier in the end, and save you a lot of time. Unless this is for gaming, in which I'd be surprised if there are many games that worked on XP that don't work on 7.

- Collapse -
XP Mode and Dual Boot
- Collapse -
What I considered implicit

What I considered implicit, but in retrospect might better have been explicit, was that the person upgrade to 7 Pro or Ultimate to obtain XP Mode.

- Collapse -
easybcd

Thanks for all your feedback,it was appreciated.I got easybcd which edited the boot and added XP,now everything is fine.I just have one query.XP is on a different drive from Windows 7,but when i access the internet is this information saved/accessed in the same folder in both OS's?
Basically if someone uses Windows 7,can they see what has been accessed (ie internet cache)on XP and vice versa?
Thanks again

- Collapse -
Yes and No

Yes and no. They CAN see it, but they'd have to go looking for it, it won't just automagically pop up in the browser. At least assuming you don't manually alter settings so that both browsers use the same drive.

CNET Forums

Forum Info