Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Linux forum

General discussion

dual boot Win XP Pro and Fedora Core 4

by SSadartis / September 14, 2006 11:28 PM PDT

I've got and old machine (PII 400Mhz, 224MB ram) and I need to install both Win XP Pro and Fedora Core 4. I've been able to install and run each OS independently, but I have problems dual booting the machine.
I need to mention that I have 3 HD in total.
1. Quntum Fireball 6.1GB (has 2 partitions 102MB and 6GB) which is attached on the motherboard's IDE bus
2. Maxtor 250GB (has 2 partitions 120GB and 130GB)and
3. Seagate 80GB
both of which are attached on a berklin ata133 raid controller (however raid is not used)
I installed FC4 on the first partition of the 2nd HD and Win XP on the first HD. I used Grub as my boot manager but the system boots only to winXP.
How can I configure dual boot for my system using Grub or, if I have to, windows boot loader?

I would appreciate any suggestions

Dimitri.

ps let me know if you need more info..

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
Link, comment.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 14, 2006 11:35 PM PDT
Collapse -
What I would do.
by chuckieu / September 15, 2006 5:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Link, comment.

Toss the 6G drive. I have a larger one in my old Beige G3 Mac. Load Xp on the 80G drive making a 50G partition (XP
uses more resources than Linux), formatting as NTFS and installing. Do not format remaining space. When
fine-tuned (on line and firewall, etc. working), install
Linux (Ubuntu 6.06 is really good choice) on remaining space on 80G drive. Grub will set up dual-boot. Then add 250G drive, put in XP disc and format as NTFS
(1 partition) and use as media drive. Good luck. chuck

Collapse -
Dual Boot
by KevinK / September 26, 2006 5:47 AM PDT

If you have not done so already try reconfiguring your system so that the drive with Grub and Linux on it is the primary boot drive. In my case this was easy (new machine - just a bios selection change) and solved the problem. In your case you might have to put the drives on separate drive chains, make both masters with the primary drive being the one with grub on it.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!