Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Linux forum

General discussion

Dual Boot Vista-Ubuntu9.10

by YaHa96 / November 24, 2009 11:06 PM PST

I have a Vista pre-installed Acer Aspire 2930 (C2D @2GHz, 3GB RAM DDR2, 250GB HDD) and I want to dual boot it with Ubuntu 9.10

I have researched quite a bit on the net, and found out that one of the ways to do it is like this:
-Shrink volume with disk manager till you got enough space
-Reboot using Ubuntu livecd and then install, on the "Largest continuous space available" or something like that
-On the Advanced part, install GRUB on the partition and leave windows alone (dont rewrite MBR)
-Install EasyBCD and then just add GRUB to the boot list, reboot, done

Not only that, I found out that the Recovery Partition which is hidden and takes up about 10Gigs may cause both OS to fail (dunno why, they remove the partition and both OS work). Plus I heard that sometimes after installing Ubuntu, your Windows won't boot, and requires reinstall

Now I want to keep my recovery partition, so how to do this dual booting safely?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dual Boot Vista-Ubuntu9.10
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dual Boot Vista-Ubuntu9.10
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sorry no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 24, 2009 11:16 PM PST

I've yet to see anyone keep both systems of recovery boot and Ubuntu.

Try this idea. Use CLONEZILLA so make an image to some external hard drive so you can put the machine back the way you found it.
Bob

Collapse -
For me, the best way...
by R_Head / November 25, 2009 1:45 AM PST

Is as recomended before create a back up image of what you have 1st. I like Norton Ghost and allows you to install the image in a partition of your liking.

I do not know much about Ubuntu, but if is like Mandriva, it has a GUI with color bars that allows you to re-size the drive with the file systems of your liking. Pretty easy to follow.

The kicker is that you can re-size a MS NTFS partition with that Utility during the install. I read and heard a lot of people that really works, but in my opinion, I do not trust it a bit. So I make an image copy just in case.

Hidden partition in your drive is a partition for recovery of the system, therefore, the Linux partition is irrelevant. So if you want to rescue the Vista side, most likely will wipe out the Linux partitions as well.

I hope this helps you to decide.

Collapse -
That hideen partition maybe mess up with GRUB autosettings
by GODhack / November 26, 2009 6:18 PM PST

Manually check if things in /boot/grub/menu.lst file are correct (partition numbers etc.). Maybe mistake appears because hidden partition not detected.

Collapse -
Esier way...
by GODhack / November 26, 2009 6:22 PM PST

I have researched quite a bit on the net, and found out that one of the ways to do it is like this:
-Shrink volume with disk manager till you got enough space
-Reboot using Ubuntu livecd and then install, on the "Largest continuous space available" or something like that
-On the Advanced part, install GRUB on the partition and leave windows alone (dont rewrite MBR)
-Install EasyBCD and then just add GRUB to the boot list, reboot, done

Ahh waste of time to do in this way.
Just do:
-Reboot using Ubuntu livecd and then install, on the "Srink partition and use free space" or sth like that.
Nothing more. Even no advanced part needed Ubuntu install detects windows and set up dual boot things automatically. You just have to say that you want to keep windows.

Collapse -
Nope. Shrinking the volume with ubuntu's not always good.
by YaHa96 / November 27, 2009 3:52 PM PST
In reply to: Esier way...

Shrinking the windows volume with ubuntu tools not always good. windows might error and need to run chkdsk.

Collapse -
chkdisk, gparted, backups
by GODhack / November 28, 2009 12:22 AM PST

No real problem, it is good to run chdisk sometimes.
Ubuntu tools (gparted software) should work fine generally.

And no matter way it is good idea to do backups of important date first.

Collapse -
Possible remedy
by roharme / December 20, 2009 12:26 AM PST

If the existing Vista is using full HDD (single 250 gB partition). Then shrink volume or else have two partition.

1 partition - for ubuntu (size as you wish)
2 partition - for swap - (size 512 mB to 1GB)

reboot and boot from ubuntu live cd.
Start installation
At partitioning, select manual partition option.

There you have to select the two partition what you reserved for.
mark first partition as root "/" and format as sxt3 format.mark second partition as swap.

Done.

You wont lose windows now.
Grub loader will be shown at system start up.

Visit:
www.infosyndrome.com

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!