Linux forum

General discussion

Dual Boot: Vista + Ubuntu

by techguru256 / March 15, 2008 8:22 AM PDT

I am looking for the best way to dual boot Vista and Ubuntu (x86) with vista already installed. I have a hp pavilion dv9548us with 120GB and 80GB hard drives (SATA) and vista is installed on the 120GB (Default). What I would like to do is install Ubuntu on a partition of the 80GB which I have shrunk to 60GB to make room for Ubuntu. The trouble that I am having is that I want to leave the Vista MBR intact and use the BIOS to switch between the OSes if it is possible. I am a NOOB when it comes to Linux. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Below is the complete listing of my specs.

specs:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01072790&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3439705&rule=44435&lang=en

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dual Boot: Vista + Ubuntu
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dual Boot: Vista + Ubuntu
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Where is that feature in that BIOS?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 15, 2008 8:36 AM PDT

I can't find it.

Collapse -
BIOS
by techguru256 / March 15, 2008 8:49 AM PDT

It is under the list of devices that you can boot from.

Collapse -
Still can't find it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 15, 2008 10:18 AM PDT
In reply to: BIOS

I see the devices but no option to choose a partition. Looks like a dead end here.
Bob

Collapse -
bootable devices
by techguru256 / March 15, 2008 11:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Still can't find it.

I have two separate hard drives and one drive for each os. You should be able to tell the computer what drive to boot from. This should be primary and secondary drives installed on your computer. I don't think you can specify what partition to boot from without a bootloader such as grub for example.

Collapse -
Try it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 15, 2008 11:52 AM PDT
In reply to: bootable devices

Install linux to the second drive and write the boot loader to the second drive. Unplug that first drive just in case you muss up answering the install questions.

Good luck. Sorry I only had one drive and couldn't see how to use this menu with just one drive and two partitions.
Bob

Collapse -
Dual boot
by techguru256 / March 15, 2008 1:22 PM PDT
In reply to: Try it.

Thanks for all of your help. Sorry I could not be of more help to you. I am new to all this. Thanks again.

Collapse -
dual boot
by root(hd0,1) / March 16, 2008 11:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Dual boot

download grubloader extract the file GRLDR. go to your primary partition and find the file bootmgr now take ownership and rename it bootmgr1 copy grldr and place it in the primary partition where bootmgr resides now you are telling win.exe(bootloader) to load bootmgr(grubloader in disguise) restart and you will have a GRUB menu to boot Vista enter in menu.lst:

# Boot Vista by finding and loading bootmgr1
title Microsoft Windows Vista
find --set-root /bootmgr1
chainloader /bootmgr1

install Ubuntu to sda2 and the installation will automatically add your extra kernel (2.6.14) to the menu.lst to boot ubuntu simply press enter.

Collapse -
or
by root(hd0,1) / March 16, 2008 8:36 PM PDT
In reply to: dual boot

sorry didn't read your full post. you cannot boot from your second drive due to a lot of reasons so if you have the Ubuntu Live cd shrink your first hdd to 80G (you can save your other Vista work to the 2nd Hdd as needed) just insert it and install it on your 1st hdd the cd allows for autuomatic partitioning and also enters your grub menu.lst automatically:

So you will have:

sda1 Ntfs 80G (Vista)

then the Ubuntu cd will automatically select the free space partion it as:

sda2(partition 2 in Linux) and format it Ext3(required Linux file system).

But be sure to select installation manual!! otherwise the cd will format sda1(partition 1) your Vista install.

Collapse -
Grub
by phil66 / March 17, 2008 7:17 AM PDT
In reply to: or

Why would someone go to all that partitioning and changing MBR

When simply loading to the 2nd drive and attaching grub to the MBR would be fast simple and workable

Then set grub to boot which ever system you desire

Seem like a lot of useless work to me????

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?