Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Dual boot system Vista and XP help please

by slip-angle / December 1, 2008 6:48 AM PST

Hi,

I have a dual hdd toshiba laptop that came pre-installed with Vista on the primary hdd. I wanted to run a dual boot system having Vista on one hard drive and XP on the other, since there are a few programs I still want to run which don't run on Vista.
My problem started when I was foolishly convinced to install Ubuntu on my other hdd instead of XP, and so I did, and I hated it.

So then I wanted to delete it and just stick to what I was gonna do originally, however Ubuntu wrote over the MBR and I was told that if I just go in and delete it, I'll have problems trying to boot up my system.
I used a program called BootIt Ng which let me go in and delete all the ubuntu stuff on the 2nd hdd and set the standard MBR back to windows.

So this is where I am right now. I have my original Vista pre-installed on my primary hdd, and an empty 2nd hdd on which I want to install XP. However when I boot from the XP CD it sais that it can't find any hard-drives on my system.

Did I mess something up with the BootIt Ng program? I know you can't install XP over Vista, but why cant it find my 2nd hdd.
When I boot up Vista it recognizes the 2nd hdd and I've formated it to NTSB.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dual boot system Vista and XP help please
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dual boot system Vista and XP help please
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
How are you giving XP "SATA" support?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 1, 2008 6:53 AM PST

Note: If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem.

I read your post twice and couldn't find the make and model number but the issue with XP is no SATA SUPPORT. Another issue is that I now insist on the XP SP2 CD. I will no long try to install XP unless I have a real XP SP2 CD. Been burned too many times to try that again.
Bob

Collapse -
system info
by slip-angle / December 1, 2008 7:03 AM PST

sorry,

my laptop is a toshiba satelite p200, primary hdd is a Toshiba MK1237GSX ATA and the secondary hdd is a Hitachi HTS541612J9S00 ATA.

the pre-installed vista os is vista home premium, and the xp i want to install is xp professional media center (i think)

im still a bit of a cpu newbie, so im not sure if this is all the info needed and im not sure about the "sata" support.

Collapse -
ps
by slip-angle / December 1, 2008 7:41 AM PST
In reply to: system info

i have no option to edit/change any SATA/ATA settings in my bios

Collapse -
Never found such a version.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 1, 2008 8:59 AM PST
In reply to: system info

"xp professional media center (i think)"

While media center was based on XP Pro, it is not XP Pro. What matters here is the service pack that is integrated into the XP CD. If less that XP SP2, I expect trouble and hardships. Reading links about I read "SATA NATIVE MODE ENABLED = YES, to NO"...

Back on topic. Your machine has no BIOS option (according to you so I won't question this) so you need the F6 FLOPPY solution. More about at ITEM 2 at http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_results.aspx?strTypes=all&ProductID=2101&OSFullName=Windows*+XP+Media+Center+Edition&lang=eng&strOSs=88&submit=Go%21

"Creates floppy disk for 32-bit OS with Intel

Collapse -
yes it is sp2
by slip-angle / December 1, 2008 9:20 AM PST

i did try pressing f6 during the windows setup process (if that's the same thing as downloading the intel matrix storage manager) and i got a message saying that windows cannot recognize one or more of the mass storage devices, and will load support for none. with an option to put in a oem disk.

i should mention my laptop has no floppy disk drives, only cd rom drive, so i couldn't do that.

again i'm not a computer pro so dont get uptight.

Collapse -
Then you need to obtain a floppy drive.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 1, 2008 9:31 AM PST
In reply to: yes it is sp2

I'm sure someone may mention SLIPSTREAMING in the drivers but I dropped a hint that others wrote about the BIOS. I don't say you're wrong but others did post there was an option to flip.

About you being a computer pro. This is how people learn about this. I only supply the missing ingredient. For your part you would research HOW TO INSTALL XP TO A SATA DRIVE on google.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!