Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Dual Boot Problem (boot.ini file)

by cravie / January 28, 2004 11:10 PM PST

I have 2 Hard Drives C (Old Drive connected as Master) and a D Drive (Connected as Slave)

The old C drive was only some 5GB with Windows 98. I installed Windows 2000 on the New D Drive which is 40GB.

Currently when I boot the system it asks Which Operating system and makes me choose between Windows 98 and Windows 2000 and loads the operating system.

My Problem when I change the Master and Slave. I connected the New Drive as Master and the Old Drive as Slave and now the computer does not ask me which Operating system to Load.

It just goes to the C:\. (I beleive this is my New Drive which has become C (earlier D)

I am giving below the boot .ini File which was in the Old Hard Disk. May be I have to copy this to the New Drive and make some changes to the boot.ini file. Please let me know your suggestion. Please give your suggestion for Dual Boot keeping the New Drive C as win 2000 and the Old Drive D as win 98

If this is not possible. I need to boot to win 2000 using my New Drive and able to go to D:\ (old drive) and copy my old files into C

Boot.ini File

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
C:\="Microsoft Windows"

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dual Boot Problem (boot.ini file)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dual Boot Problem (boot.ini file)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Dual Boot Problem (boot.ini file)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2004 11:22 PM PST

"My Problem when I change the Master and Slave. I connected the New Drive as Master and the Old Drive as Slave and now the computer does not ask me which Operating system to Load."

The short answer is that Microsoft does NOT provide any supported method or procedure to move these OSes from one drive to another and continue to operate.

There are many "try this" procedures, but none that I can tell you and also guarantee you that your data files (and OS!) are going to survive (and you will be happy.)

The real solution is to back up what files you can't lose, setup the drives the way you want and install the OS on the drives you want.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:Dual Boot Problem (boot.ini file)
by JenDScot / February 15, 2004 6:25 AM PST

Bob, I have a question, would it have helped being he changed the connection on the drive, to go into fdisk and change the active partition to the original configuration, you can change the partition you wish to have active, then run the repair from W2K disk to return a dual boot option from NTLDR.

Collapse -
I'll write no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 15, 2004 7:07 AM PST

NT/2000/XP and beyond do not deal well with "changed the connection on the drive". Maybe in some future Windows, but today, such is not supported.

Bob

Collapse -
Also keep this in mind...
by Art / February 1, 2004 5:09 PM PST

that windows 98 will only be bootable on drive C: which is the primary master partition. Since you switch the 5GB HDD as slave it will no longer be drive C:. I am not 100% sure but I think I am correct on this.

Collapse -
Re:Dual Boot Problem (boot.ini file)
by maxieray / February 22, 2004 2:27 PM PST

Hi
You could leave the drives like they are now.
Run repair with the win 2000 repair console with the 2000 cd.
Then go to http://www.osloader.com
get this little loader program and install it.
Follow the install instructions.

It will then let you boot from either hard drive or partition you want where ever you want to put them.

Regards
Maxie

Collapse -
Weird bootcfg not working when fixing xp boot loader
by astrogirl_uranhk / January 26, 2015 2:48 PM PST

Hi I am trying to repair my xp dual boot -just 2 versions of same xp installed to drives I and J. This was transferred to a virtual box vm and had easy bcd managing it before when had W7 also installed on physical machine but now just 2 xps and seems easy bcd not passing control to boot.ini file as before - just getting single XP loading not boot ini menu although checked and boot ini entries correct in bootcfg /list. Maybe easybcd won't work without installed W7 or higher. I tried a number of times to recreate ntdlr loader using it but fails to see boot ini menu after W7 boot menu.

When repairing xp boot loader via xp recovery console can do fixboot, fixmbr but bootcfg /rebuild gives error that file system has errors run chkdsk - did that too chkdsk /p /r on 2 xp partitions and still same error with bootcfg not doing rebuild.

I have a fat32 C drive with no OS to hold just xp and prior easy bcd w7 bootloader and this is where did fixboot too.

Still only loads one XP directly with no boot ini options to select other.

I will try your other suggested boot loader osloader but would you know what may be causing the bootcfg error or how to fix for future use when need to repair boot loader?

Please help - I have searched google and can't find solution, also tried var other bootloaders: GAG, bootice etc and no good - only see one XP.

Prefer also bootloader that can use boot ini as have setup also safe mode options for the xps.

Collapse -
you piggybacked an 11 yr old thread?!!!!
by James Denison / January 26, 2015 9:01 PM PST

Your choices are;

1) use BIOS switching between drives and see if both XP will boot.

2) For the XP that won't boot, run FIX BOOT and FIX MBR on it's drive to find it again

3) Do an "side by side" install of some Linux distro (Lubuntu or Puppy for older computer) and let it's bootloader find and add both XP versions. You can also do full install to a USB drive and anytime it's plugged in and you boot to it, that bootloader will direct it to either XP you wish.

4) Transfer files from the unresponsive XP to the drive with the bootable XP and then re-do the installation on that drive.

5) Backup your personal data files from the XP drive not booting and then reinstall it so can be booted from the BIOS drive choice (often a function key during boot time will let you choose the drive to boot).

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

BEST LIST

Find the best hybrids on the market!

Hybrid technology can be applied to any type of car, and the best show the most significant fuel economy improvements over a similar gasoline-only car.