Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Dual boot OK, can't boot off second drive alone

by whittaker007 / September 29, 2009 12:45 PM PDT

Hi guys,

I'm running Windows XP and want to migrate to another hard drive. I used the excellent open source utility CloneZilla to clone my hard drive to the new drive, and used the equally excellent EASEUS Partition Master to resize the cloned partition to fill the new drive.

Next I edited boot.ini on my original Windows to add the cloned drive as another boot option. After a bit of trial and error guessing the disk path for boot.ini I was able to dual boot into the original or the clone.

Now I want to boot off the new drive directly without dual booting off the original drive as I intend to wipe the old drive after I am satisfied that everything is working OK. But here's the catch: the original drive is SATA, while the new drive is IDE. So I can't simply swap the cables around and be done with it.

So I configured the boot sequence in the bios to use "HDD-0" instead of "SCSI" (for some reason this old BIOS thinks SATA is SCSI) and restart. The system gets as far as detecting the boot source (floppy first, then CD-ROM) and then stops. No "operating system not found" or any other kind of error, just a blinking cursor and no activity.

I get exactly the same behavior using "HDD-1" to "HDD-3" as the boot drive in the bios. The bios detects the drive itself OK. I have also edited boot.ini on the new drive to point to the same location I used to add it to the dual boot menu on the original drive, but that didn't help.

I also booted off the Windows installer, went into Recovery mode and ran Fixmbr and Fixboot with the original SATA drive unplugged and without specifying a device name. This seemed to complete OK but also didn't help.

Any ideas?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dual boot OK, can't boot off second drive alone
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dual boot OK, can't boot off second drive alone
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This is something Windows does not do.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 29, 2009 11:05 PM PDT

Nothing busted here. Windows does not move from drive to drive like you are trying to do.

However I have had some luck by cloning the old drive to the new drive (yes, from IDE to SATA) but here's the trick. The motherboard had the new IDE EMULATION feature that let the drive on SATA 0 (zero) appear as if it was on the IDE MASTER Channel 0.

I will not write further about that. It's advanced and if you don't catch up then I can't teach this in 3 paragraphs.

-> Again. Windows doesn't move well. Always be prepared for a fresh install.
Bob

Collapse -
multiboot
by TaraS_WinTeam / September 30, 2009 8:41 AM PDT
Collapse -
Stupid Windows
by whittaker007 / September 30, 2009 10:02 AM PDT
In reply to: multiboot

So the upshot is that you can't back up a Windows partition and restore it to another drive, you have to reinstall Windows and all your apps?

It seems strange to me that I can boot that drive in a multiboot configuration, but not standalone.

That's a shame, since you can do that rather easily on a Mac or even Linux. Ah well, that's one more piece of confirmation that I was right to switch to Mac a couple of years ago. So long Windows, I think I'll install Linux on that drive instead.

Collapse -
This is nothing new.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 30, 2009 10:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Stupid Windows

I shared there is a way to clone the drive IF and only IF the machine supports that new IDE SATA EMULATION THAT NO ONE IS DOCUMENTING WELL ENOUGH.

Microsoft did not create that mess. Why don't you vent on Intel for that?
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks
by whittaker007 / September 30, 2009 11:27 AM PDT
In reply to: This is nothing new.

Thanks for your response Bob.

Unfortunately I don't think IDE emulation will work for me for two reasons: first, I'm actually downgrading the drive from SATA to IDE, not the other way round. Second, the PC is about 5 years old so probably won't have that capability. I even had to modify the last available BIOS to insert new SATA drivers in it so it could boot with a 1Tb SATA drive attached!

I'm really just trying to resurrect it as a media centre PC. I guess I will have to try reinstalling Windows on it, but this time I'll dual boot it with a MythTV Linux distro. If I can find Linux drivers for my other hardware I'll probably ditch Windows. I'm struggling to find a reason other than nostalgia to keep using it.

Cheers,

Scott

Collapse -
Actually that is easier to fix that from IDE to SATA.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 30, 2009 11:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

I've been lucky with the old "XP REPAIR INSTALL" after the clone when moving from SATA to IDE. That seems to work with one big caveat. Ready? This only works if we use the "Retail" versions of XP. Repair installs are uncharted to unsupported to undoable with those OEM versions.

Sorry I got the SATA to IDE wrong.

And one last idea. Did you try one of those IDE to SATA converters like http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=RXD639-IDE-SATA-ADP&cat=CCD
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.