TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

DTS Master HD, Dolby True HD

by mooseman923 / April 2, 2008 10:41 PM PDT

I have a very good samsung lcd tv but am using a less then hi def audio system. I am looking to get a home theater system that will either support or decode DTS HD and Dolby True HD. Does anyone have advice on which to pick up?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DTS Master HD, Dolby True HD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DTS Master HD, Dolby True HD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I would reccomend the...
by stuntman_mike / April 3, 2008 2:30 AM PDT

Onkyo 605. It is the cheapest receiver that decodes all of the new formats and it has been rated highly by many professional reviewers. I have one, and I love it.

Without knowing your budget and exact needs, I would say that the 605 is the way to go. If money is not that much of an issue, then you might want to look into Denon.

If you need more than two HDMI inputs on your receiver than you might want to look at the Onkyo 805.

You will be happy with any of those choices.

Good luck

Collapse -
Bang for the buck!
by jingoboy_78 / April 3, 2008 3:47 AM PDT

My choice of set up will be
if you are in a budget...

Onkyo 605(2 hdmis) Vs onkyo 805 (3 hdmis)
panasonic DMP BD 30(bitstreams DTS HDMA and Dolby digital which can be decoded by your onkyo 605 or onkyo 805 which results in lossless Hi def audio)

Search for some polk audio satelite systems to start with..but if money is not a big deal for you then there are many speakers out there.

Collapse -
Audio
by jasondtx / April 4, 2008 4:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Bang for the buck!

Denon AVR 2808 or higher is a very good way to go. Good power to drive pretty much any speaker system, Audyssey eq system built in, good scaler, etc. If you want much better quality you can always go with Rotel, Lexicon, Classe, or others.

Collapse -
yes, better quality
by jostenmeat / April 4, 2008 5:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Audio

but w/o hi-def audio support for the time being. Rotel should be coming out with them later this year, about pre-Christmas perhaps.

Personally, I would get the Yamaha 663 over the Onkyo 605. If budget can expand to $600, Id get a refurbed 805 at about double the weight and double the current, as well as using the same DAC set as the Integra 9.8 or even the $7,000 Denon pre.

The 605 does not have pre-outs. Strike #1 for me. It cannot matrix hi-def over 7.1... strike #2.

To the OP. There are a lot of noobies who are all goo-goo-ga-ga over the hi-def audio, and they actually think it will make a difference with HTIB quality speakers. It won't. Your money is best spent first where electrical energy is converted to mechanical energy: the speakers and sub. Once you get all of that up to par, including the amount of power, would I bother with hi-def.

Putting top-fuel in a Yugo still doesn't make it Formula 1.

Collapse -
Yugo
by Dan Filice / April 4, 2008 6:25 AM PDT
In reply to: yes, better quality

Josten,

Hey wait a minute...I put a Ferrari badge on my Yugo and I swear it's faster.

You are correct about the quality of speakers first, then worry about HD Audio later. I've played BD discs using my lowly Yamaha receiver with only 6.1, and the standard 6.1 sounds great. I guess I don't know what I'm missing yet, but the benefits of HD audio will need to wait until I can afford a receiver that will process it. And, don't we need a receiver too that will process the new HD audio format as well as a DVD player that will recognize it?

Collapse -
depends...
by jostenmeat / April 4, 2008 7:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Yugo

In your case, the PS3 internally unpacks almost all of the formats, which is sent out as Multi Ch PCM.

In which case all you need is a receiver with HDMI that can handle PCM. (They all can except the very, very, very cheapest, and I believe such receivers should never have even built, ie Onkyo 505).

It actually opens up more choices for you, perhaps some older Denon's, or even NAD products ($$$) which do not have on-board decoders. But you don't need them (unless you got a different players, perhaps).

I don't think the PS3 has multi-ch analogs... but that path has its own issues at times.

I am not planning any time soon to swap out my refurbed 805.. and I have no idea what timeline you are on... but knowing me and how potentially insane I can get, if I ever upgraded I'd let you have it for half the cost of what i got it for, if not less. So about $300. We live close enough. I'll help you set it up, you supply me a beer. Silly

again, Im going to use it for a while though, but who knows. Anyways, the thing runs very very hot, and if you need to shove it in a credenza, cabinet with shelving on 5 sides, I recommend you go elsewhere unless you are fine with a couple of computer fans for intake/exhuast.

J

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.