General discussion

DTS/AC3 Support on HT-BD125x with MKVs

Hello everyone,

Although this is my first post @cnet Samsung forums, I've been tracking this forum for a while now. First, a small intro of the background reasons leading for the question

I'm a proud owner of a LE46B650 and I use it extensively to play 720p/1080p MKV 1080p/720p files (with a supported Video Stream, I know MKV is just a packaging format, not a codec);
Like all TVs now-a-days, has very poor sound.

Currently I'm deciding on a 5.1 setup to along with the TV, and due to space restrictions I can't go to a traditional HT + Speakers setup (my choice would be a mid-level Yamaha).
The short list is now:
- HT-BD1250/55 (I don't have bookshelf for the 1250 speakers, so I'll probably prefer 1255 for it's tallboy speakers)
- LG HB954PB or TBW (the PB has front only tallboy speakers, so probably the TBW).

So far so good until I came across a serious gripe... the Optical Out of the LE46B650 is 5.1 only on DTV.. stereo otherwise.

This was a major letdown (honestly, why Samsung?, WHYYY?) because effectively this means that I CAN'T use the B650 to play MKVs and have 5.1 sound on the Home Theater system
(or sound at all, I've heard reports that the Optical Out doesn't output anything while playing via USB/LAN/Wifi).

Ok... *deep breath*... No problem (I hope), the BD125x or the HB954XX recently have MKV support, the BD125x card boxes even have it written (saw it in a shop).
-----------

Now, my 3 questions, regarding the Sammy HTIB (I'm not going to ask about the LG one here):
- Does the HT-BD125x support 1080p/720p AC3 MKV files as well as the LE46B650?
- Does the HT-BD125x support DTS in MKV files or do I have to go through the same shenanigans to convert them to AC3 like I do on the LE46B650?
- And the most important question; if I play a MKV with DTS or AC3 on the HT-BD125x will IT OUTPUT IT in 5.1???

This will be the deal breaker here... I'm all for the HT-BD125x but ONLY if it plays 5.1 audio from MKV files, otherwise I'll go for the LG HT954 or something else and use (unfortunatly) a WDLive for Media Playing or something.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: DTS/AC3 Support on HT-BD125x with MKVs
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: DTS/AC3 Support on HT-BD125x with MKVs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
It appears it does
- Collapse -
ac3 works ok

Hi,

I've HT-BD1255 myself and it certainly plays 5.1 from mkv files. However, I've had real trouble with DTS, even with newest firmware. It starts playing, but there's really bad stuttering on the video when playing with DTS audio. AC3 audio seems to work ok.

I have a Buffalo's network storage and I play the files from there over network.

So, at least I need to convert the DTS to AC3. If anybody knows how to solve this, let me know.

CNET Forums

Forum Info