Cameras forum

General discussion

DSLR lense length corolation to 35mm lenses

Want to add a Nikon D80 DSLR to my 35mm film SLRs & still use existing F-mount AF lenses. Makers like Canon & Nikon offer same lenses for both their film & DSLR's so they list the true 35mm format focal lengths. What is the focal length conversion for a given 35mm format lense to its digital equivalent and even though the existing lenses have a specific angle of view, is this angle affected when you use the same lense on a DSLR?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DSLR lense length corolation to 35mm lenses
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DSLR lense length corolation to 35mm lenses
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
DSLR lenses

In reply to: DSLR lense length corolation to 35mm lenses

All DSLR lenses are marked as to the 35mm film focal length.

A lens marked 24-85mm - f3.5-4.5

when used on a Nikon DSLR:

The Nikon DSLR will see the lens as being 36-127.5mm - f3.5-4.5

You use a multiplier of 1.5

50 mm is usually considered a normal or neutral focal length.
(neither wide angle, nor telephoto).

So the lens that had a pretty good wide angle (24mm) on a 35mm film camera will have less of a wide angle (36mm) on the DSLR camera.

Note:
On a Canon DSLR you use a multiplier of 1.6
On a Olympus or Panasonic DSLR you use a multiplier of 2.0

Collapse -
Nikon D80 is pretty nice

I have several Canon cameras and lenses, and I am considering the Nikon D80 purchase as an experiment - if I like it, I will sell my Canon equipment and switch over to all Nikon equipment. I highly recommend the D80.

Regarding the lens conversion factor, the previous post is correct - the conversion factor for the D80 is 1.5, and it does represent a change in the angle of view, focus length, and frame of the image.

I have purchased the "digital only" lenses, and will never do so again. In fact, my experiences are such that I will stick with factory lenses, whether I stay a Canon customer or switch to Nikon. The resulting quality of output is worth the financial investment.

-Woody Fairley

Collapse -
It depends.

whether you choose Nikon or Canon. From what I remember Nikon only offer 1.5 multiplier whether it's D2X, D200, or D40-80. ( for example, 35 mm lense becomes 52.5 lense on Nikon DSLR ). Meanwhile, Canon offers 3 levels of multiplier. Canon 5D and 1Ds Mark II hold the same equivalent as the normal SLR camera ( standard 35 mm ). Canon 1 DMark II and Mark IIN offer 1.3 multiplier ( 35 mm lense becomes 45.5 mm lense ). And lastly, Canon 20D, 30D, 350D, and 400D hold 1.6 multiplier.

What I saw on the full-frame DSLR shootings, the soft-edge lighting picture occurs at the depth of field ( below F-5 ). I tested on my EOS 5D and friend's 1Ds Mark II, especially with most zoom lenses. But, it seems to improve a bit when using fix-focal lenses.

In fact, the camera with the multiplier seems to perform better regard the matter, but you'll need some good wide-angle lense since it'll be harder to go wider.

So, you be the judge whether what to choose. Good luck

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.