General discussion

DSL problems, erratic internet, temporally related to Rain

Has anyone experienced their DSL connection having problems during rainstorms? My DSL works great for days or weeks, then a big rainstorm and no internet connection for minutes or hours, but typically it just seems intermittent during rainstorms and a day or two following.
My modem and wireless are firmware up-to-date. My drivers are up to date. Windows update - same. My laptop never loses internet connection at work or any other broadband connection, besides my home DSL.
No problems with my phone (on filter) on the same DSL line during these DSL problems.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Could it be something exposed under my house?
Why would phone work and DSL be erratic with phone line exposed to moisture?
My local provider/phone company says that it is not their problem.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: DSL problems, erratic internet, temporally related to Rain
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: DSL problems, erratic internet, temporally related to Rain
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Call your ISP

Call your ISP, or DSL provider if they aren't the same company. Sounds like they have some exposed wires somewhere that are getting shorted out by the rainwater. Odds are you're not the only one affected. Just be prepared to be persistent. You could be standing looking at a severed cable, call up the phone company, tell them they have a severed cable, and they'll try and claim everything is fine. At least that's been my experience with both Qwest and AT&T. Then they'll send someone around and oh look, they "discovered" a severed cable!

But just for the future, any time something seems to be tied to the weather, it's probably nothing on your end. Unless it's a wireless connection, which can be adversely affected by weather conditions.

- Collapse -
Thank you

I thought that this might be it. I will try your advice and be more persistent. Thanks again! I am glad to know that this has happened to someone else - and it can be resolved.

Talked to some neighbors at lunch - they noticed it too, but just wrote it off because in due time, it all came back. Things are pretty laid back around here and they just thought that this is what the internet is like (series of tubes and the like). lol but now I have hope.

- Collapse -
DSL Problems

The weather never has an affect on DSL service. Your DSL service performance is determined by how close you are to the telco central
office. Now if you had satelite internet service I could understand
that. I have DishNetwork satelite service and every time we get a hard
rain the satelite dish goes out.

- Collapse -
DSL issues

Yes there is the possibility since DSL is fed via telephone line input, we have intermittent DSL issues in this area. Some of the issues have arisen from old phone lines, poor connectivity sometimes created by weathering, etc.

- Collapse -
DSL Problems

I stand corrected. Where I live the telephone lines are buried coming
in from the street to the house.

CNET Forums

Forum Info