Computer Help forum

General discussion

Dsl networking problems

by costerritter / February 21, 2010 6:48 AM PST

I have a clients computer that will not connect to the internet. Running xp. I installed a new net card and still get the same problems. It tries for a while to get ip address then gets limited or no connectivity. Dsl works fine on another computer. They said it worked fine a few months ago, did a system restore but no good.
Any help?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dsl networking problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dsl networking problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No offense but why not
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 21, 2010 6:53 AM PST

Have the client share here too? Your post is void of details such as make, model, the story about drivers and more. And that old story about Norton means software titles that expire can play a role here.

Why not let them tell more?
Bob

Collapse -
thanks?
by costerritter / February 21, 2010 9:41 AM PST
In reply to: No offense but why not

compaq presario 6000
updated to newest driver for onboard from compaq, as well as newest one for the card I installed.
what are you saying about norton?

Collapse -
What I say.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 21, 2010 10:24 AM PST
In reply to: thanks?

Is that when norton expires and even close to expiry it shuts down internet access. Why Symantec programmed that in is something I haven't found a good explanation for.
Bob

Collapse -
why pay for junk like norton
by costerritter / February 21, 2010 11:25 AM PST
In reply to: What I say.

o did know that about norton I have always shunned norton. Will check it when I get back, but would that cause a "limited or no connectivity"?

Collapse -
Norton.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 21, 2010 9:05 PM PST

Drivers, either for the motherboard and network interfaces. That's just the machine. There are other issues such as wires, settings but this message doesn't help nail which one. Norton when it expire can result in limited connectivity. I don't have a big problem with Norton except that this and a few other quirks have people taking machines to the shop counters when it expires.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!