Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

DSL explained??

by mej / April 6, 2005 8:14 AM PDT

Ok, I know I'm computer illiterate but would someone please explain to me what I will need to change from dialup 56k modem to SBC Yahoo DSL? I have a windows 98SE program with IE6/MSN9. 128RAM/486MHz Pent.III.Clock speed is 100. Will I need to change my modem? Will I need to change from MSN as my ISP? Should I add more RAM (I have two empty slots now) before changing?How does DSL work differently from dial-up (other than faster)?Please help this old person.Please use the KISS method.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DSL explained??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DSL explained??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: DSL explained
by stonehkm / April 6, 2005 8:50 AM PDT
In reply to: DSL explained??

First, it will allow you to use your phone while on line. Second, it is much faster. Third, your local phone company probably has DSL available. Talk to them and they will make sure you are equiped for reception of the service, including ethernet card, modem etc. Oh! And you will need more ram. Minimum 256K to handle it. If you want to go to SBC/Yahoo, then contact them, but I think you will find your local phone company more available and willing to help you with the very limited resources you have.
Good luck...

Keith

Collapse -
Mej, Judging By Your Description...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 6, 2005 9:01 AM PDT

...you'll only need to purchase one more thing, depending on the DSL service that you use..Your Win98 computer needs to have an "adapter card" of some type. That can be a "wireless internet adapter" or an "ethernet adapter" (more commonly called a NIC). The best will probably be an ethernet card although that depends on your circumstances. (CLICK HERE to See A PictureAn ethernet card is used for "cable" connections to the DSL modem and plugs into the PCI slot in your computer. Installing the ethernet card is easily done. The PCI slots can only be seen by removing the cover from your computer. See the link below:

How Do I Get My Ethernet Card Installed?

Once the ethernet card is installed, then the DSL company will usually supply the DSL external modem plus the CAT5 cable for connecting the computer to the modem. (Depending on the service, the modem may given to you, it may need to be rented, or it may need to be purchased.) Then, a telephone wire/cable will be needed to connect the modem to the telephone wall jack. DSL filters are required to be placed on each of the lines where a telephone is actually connected.

As an example, I just signed up with a new DSL service at my home...My DSL service supplies the external modem, (this modem also contains a wireless and cable router), the CAT5 cable, the telephone wire/cable, 5 telephone line filters, and all the software, for no extra cost. But each service may be different. In my case, I was connected in less than 30 minutes, but I already had the ethernet card in the computer.

For a DSL definition and how it works, maybe the link below will explain it for you:

Webopedia's "ADSL" Definition

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Another explanation. . .
by Coryphaeus / April 6, 2005 9:21 AM PDT
Collapse -
More suggestions
by jkp / April 6, 2005 11:58 AM PDT

Your ISP (=Internet Service Provider) will change to whatever company connects you with DSL. There's absolutely no point in continuing to pay for a dial-up connection once you have DSL, so cancel it.

Once you're on DSL, unless you use your modem for something like local fax, remove it from the Windows Device Manager and physically from your machine. This will free up an interrupt in Windows and a slot on the mother board, cut down a bit on power usage and heat and, is guaranteed protection against unwanted dialer programs.

Definitely go for more RAM but ensure you get the right type--my machine is a P3 450 with three RAM slots. Each will accept a 128 MB stick without a problem but to get the motherboard to accept a 256 MB stick requires that the stick be double-sided, 16 chip models (about twice as expensive as single-sided).

If you don't have one now, install a good firewall. There are several good free ones available, ZoneAlarm probably being the easiest to set up and use.

John

Collapse -
DSL
by damasta55r / April 6, 2005 1:50 PM PDT

You probably need a way to connect to the DSL modem, which connects to your phone line, however you can still use your phone with DSL. In order to use phone, they will provide you with filters. They will also provide modem and ethernet wire. TO connect it to your computer, you need either a NIC card-Network Interface Card, or a wireless card. If you're using a wireless card, you might have to buy a separate router, unless your modem comes with integrated wireless. This is all you need. You need to check with the company to see whether you can have DSL, as you need to be at least 21,000 feet from the company headquarters. RAM is not necessary. I ran DSL on a 128MB machine, and for internet browsing, you can't tell the difference from 1GB DDR2 PC4300. However, 128 MB is pretty low even for common apps.
ROger

Collapse -
Thank you
by mej / April 7, 2005 2:04 AM PDT

You all are so kind to help me.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.