Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

DSL distance limitations yet again

by nworbekim / September 7, 2008 2:49 AM PDT

i have been using the windstream DSL tier 1 for several months and even though i'm .4 beyond the 3 mile distance, i am able to use their service, somewhat slower than 1.5... but many times faster than dial up... so i am willing to pay the price...

last week, there were problems here with my connection... after complainging loudly after the 3rd day, they began to take me seriously... and had someone take a look at it...

the guy says that he found my problem and has dropped me back to what is called DSL lite here... he says i shouldn't see much difference in what i had... BUT I DO SEE A DROP OF NEARLY 50% IN MY SPEED!!! and by the way, the switch was done without my agreement...

every time i call them, they simply answer that i'm just too far out...

i'm reading that's not necessarily true... and besides, i know that already and am willing to accept the slower speed...

sooo.... yet again, i called and the tech in India, i think, says they will have me fixed by tuesday... if they don't... is there any other method of pursuing this or should i just give up and go somewhere else?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DSL distance limitations yet again
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DSL distance limitations yet again
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If all you have in the area is dsl lite then...
by ahtoi / September 9, 2008 12:53 AM PDT

any other isp will be the same. What they should have done is charge you less.

As for performance, it is true that dsl lite do decrease with distance. However the poor performance may not be between your house to the central station but rather their server and beyond. Only they know but since they tell you it's the distance then you have no choice; take it or leave it.

Collapse -
If all you have in the area is dsl lite then...
by nworbekim / September 9, 2008 1:21 AM PDT

but you're incorrect in your assumptionthat they are correct and i'm not...

i forced them to change me back to tier one sunday, and i'm consistently at nearly 1200 kbps... a bit less than 3 times the speed of their DSL lite...

i told them that from the beginning!!! what pisses me off is that they won't listen!!! hey!! i've a tech certificate too!!! and i've been playing with computers since i bought my first tandy color computer back in 1987!!!!

nowadays, the 3 mile limitation is not necessarily the limitation... from my homework, there are ways to exend that if the company is willing to help...

what it boiled down to, in my opinion, was the tech service guy was supposed to come out to the house and work with me on this problem... he was too lazy to... so he thought he could tell me the dsl lite crap and i'd go away... but i didn't Happy

and i think we could probably tweak out the rest of the speed if i could get a service guy out here... i've a terribly wrecked lower back... discs blown everywhere and most of the time i'm barely walking... but i do what i can

dishnet offered me a deal... nothing more than anyone else, i suppose, but for $200 and approx $60 monthly, i can get full bore dsl...

i'm still considering that...

meanwhile... i'm running great on the tier one level at this time... as i said i would be! i love being right Happy

Collapse -
Ah Yes, but...
by Pepe7 / September 18, 2008 4:16 AM PDT

...they won't install equipment which can extend DSL past the limits of what's already available to serve a single subscriber. It unfortunately isn't cost effective for them to do this for you. That is exactly how cable internet keeps a lot of its subscriber base in urban areas one would think could receive DSL right now.

Regarding Dishnet, AFAIK they resell Wildblue satellite internet service. You will likely be extremely disappointing by this, even compared to the 'slow' DSL you are currently experiencing. The lag's pretty bad w/ satellite IME.

Personally, I think your efforts would be better spent finding a more helpful human in tech suport with your current DSL provider. Reason with them to see if they can get a line tech out in your area.

-Pedro

QUOTE:
"nowadays, the 3 mile limitation is not necessarily the limitation... from my homework, there are ways to exend that if the company is willing to help..."

"dishnet offered me a deal... nothing more than anyone else, i suppose, but for $200 and approx $60 monthly, i can get full bore dsl..."

Collapse -
Be careful.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 9, 2008 1:34 AM PDT

I know one person that was over the limit and they started complaining. The end result was they terminated the service. You can be right and lose this one.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?