General discussion

DSL --can you turn "always on" off??

I had to restore my hard drive and redo my DSL set up. I was able to "diconnect" my computer from always being connected.
I cannot seem to find where I set that feature up. My connection icon keeps record of time online and it keeps running, even when I shut the computer down.
I like to be able to connect only when I am using the computer for online things.

Anyone have suggestions?
Thanks!
dz

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: DSL --can you turn "always on" off??
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: DSL --can you turn "always on" off??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Here's a couple of simple things to do...

1. Turn off your DSL modem.
2. Disable your network card.
3. Unplug your computer's network cord.

I'm sure that there are software out there that would automatically disable or disconnect the DSL from your computer, but I dont know them by name.

Hope that this helps a little.

- Collapse -
Yes

Click internet icon in right hand bottom tray. You will see internet
ISP details. in general Click properties and then options. you can select Idle time befor hanging option and selction time so that connection will release when it is not in use.
Happy interneting !!!

- Collapse -
Thanks! I'll try that!

That seems like an easy solution to the many other things going on with my computer these days...
dz

CNET Forums