Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

dsl bridge between house and CO?

by agentsmith988-20987064860064480286378435609948 / January 19, 2006 6:57 AM PST

ive been fighting with verizon online dsl for the past year or so. i was told specifically i would be getting at least 1.5 to 2mbps speeds in my area. i only get a measely 700kbps which is horrible for downloading anything but websites. with the support from verizon all i got was...

"there is a bridge between your home and the central office where your dsl is coming from. this is why the speed is slow. i dont know what a bridge is or if anything can be done about it."

so i asked them to find out and no one seemed to know...any ideas how to get past this road block?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: dsl bridge between house and CO?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: dsl bridge between house and CO?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Bridge Tap
by Ed Mead Forum moderator / January 19, 2006 12:21 PM PST
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/658
Q: Bridge Tap?
A: Bridged tap or bridge tap is a long-used method of cabling for telephone lines. One cable pair (of wires) will "appear" in several different terminal locations (poles or pedestals). This allows the telephone company to use or "assign" that pair to any subscriber near those terminal locations. Once that customer disconnects, that pair becomes usable at any of the terminals. In the days of party lines 2, 4, 6, or 8 customers were commonly connected on the same pair which appeared at several different locations.

DSL can be affected by bridged tap. It depends on where the bridged tap is located ... the farther away from the customer's location, the better.
DSL signal reflects back through the cable pair from the end of a bridged tap, much like a tennis ball against a brick wall. The deflected signal is now out of phase and mixed with the original. The modem receives both signals and gets confused. This is when you "take errors" or cannot sync. If the bridged tap is long, by the time the signal bounces back, the original signal is far ahead and more powerful. Therefore, the modem will ignore the weaker signal and shows no problems.

Almost every cable pair in the world has bridged tap on it, so it definitely isn't always a DSL killer.

Also http://www.dslreports.com/information/kb/technical+hurdles/bridge+taps
bridge taps
A bridge tap is a technique for telephone installs that taps you into a line that runs past your house, rather than terminating at your house. The line doesn't go to anyone elses premise, it just ends, maybe a mile up the road. This is useful should people move out, demolish a house or whatever, the phone company can move the tap up or down to service whomever it wishes. Unfortunately, you have a mile of unterminated phone line running up the road ready to pick up any interference, like a huge TV antenna. Because it isn't terminated, signals bounce up and down the line and can reinforce or cancel the signals your equipment is trying to send to your ISP. This can and does play havoc with 56k modems. Telcos will not pay much attention to customer complaints about bridge taps since they do not guarantee data beyond 2400 baud, however, a DSL line is supposed to be a new clean install, and so you should not get any bridge tap surprises.. but if your provider mentions this, now you know what they are talking about.

And
http://www.iec.org/online/tutorials/xdsl_test/topic06.html
Collapse -
I thought DSL was a dedicated line?
by yiwakawa / January 21, 2006 5:34 AM PST
In reply to: Bridge Tap

I was told by Qwest DSL salesman that all DSL is a dedicated line and you don't share the DSL line like with cable? If so how can they say that all DSL is a dedicated line when they use this "bridge tap" method, that makes it like cable right?
I had Comcast cable and now use Earthlink DSL on Qwest line. I get under 1mbps with Earthlink. I bought the 1.5mbps is my line "bridge taped" too? I know Qwest is selling 5mbps? in my area.

Collapse -
Not the same, not like cable. . .
by Coryphaeus / January 22, 2006 9:15 PM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?