The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

DS LITE has a manufacturing defect! Help spread the word!!

by daniel_mad / July 16, 2006 2:16 PM PDT

HI guys,

I bought my DS lite the day it was released (june 11th) and man, i've love it like crazy =) until yesterday =(. As i woke up in the morning and reached for my DS to unplug it on my desk, i instantly noticed a crack on the left hinge next to the power outlet. Now, first i thought to myself, crap.. i must have opened it too hard or something, but i could have sword that it wasn't there the night before when i plugged it in. I called nintendo to see if there was something they could do, considering i only bought it last month. The only thing nintendo would do was give me a $20 dollar discount on a $95 dollar repair (making it $75) because i just bought it -_-. Paying 1/2 the original price for repairs for something i didn't do?! are they crazy?! So sadly, i hung up holding my broken DS in my hands seeing that there was nothing i could do.

And just before going to bed today, i found it. Apparently, there are hundreds of DS lite users out there who are having the exact same issue as i am:

http://digg.com/gaming_news/DS_Lite_Cracking_Up

now, i know what you might be thinking... oh man, this reminds me of the ipod nano scratches. But this is alittle different. I didn't even touchhh the DS and it cracked. I can see if i had it in my pocked and banged it and it broke, but i didn't. =/ Anyways, all the users in the formus are trying their hardest to spead the work and see if the big N, will do somethinggg.. at least drop the price on the repair. 1/2 the unit price for a manufactoring defect is insane, all they have to do is replace the pastic, it's not like their gutting the whole system. Now you might also be saying "oh stop crying, it's just a crack" but.. it's not just a crack, it's a crack on the hinge.. one of the main component parts of the unit. what happens if the crack gets bigger or the left section breaks of completely, then what is there left for me to do?

anyways, this is getting kinda long, so i'll end it here. Please help spread the word, and if you have a DS lite, i insist you go check it out and see if you have a crack too.

thanks guys, talk to you later
~Dan from T.O.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DS LITE has a manufacturing defect! Help spread the word!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DS LITE has a manufacturing defect! Help spread the word!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) *hugs my PSP* :P
by pufit_ / July 16, 2006 2:19 PM PDT
Collapse -
Nothing wrong with mine
by csliva11 / July 17, 2006 1:38 AM PDT

However, I don't sling it across the room like I did a few times with my Gameboy SP (stupid impossible Double Dragon).

Collapse -
The original hand-held gaming device
by cardsbb9 / July 17, 2006 1:48 AM PDT
Collapse -
Huh... I hope it doesn't happen to mine...
by shantanubala / July 17, 2006 2:26 AM PDT

If that happens to me, I'll hope Nintendo does SOMETHING. Atleast I treat it with care. I'll keep putting it back into that protective case as soon as I'm done playing Happy

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) i do as well, i treat it like a baby, and it still brok
by daniel_mad / July 17, 2006 7:14 AM PDT
Collapse -
NOOO!!

I didn't even notice it until I read this and checked the hinges and I have a crack on the same side! I got it the day it came out too and I haven't taken it out of the house yet, nor have I put it in my pockets.. (not that it would fit in my pockets at all anyway) but yeah I've been really careful with it. Shoot. If I had noticed it a week ago, I could still take it back to Best Buy.

Well.. except it's really small, almost just a hairline and could just be a cosmetic thing. I just don't want that piece to fall off eventually with use.

Sooo.. what are you going to do about it?

Collapse -
Wow, I'm so sorry
by jialuolu-2096123418310153 / July 17, 2006 8:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Photo of my crack

Should've picked a better title

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) ROTFLMAO!!!
by SantiagoCrespo / July 17, 2006 10:52 PM PDT
In reply to: Wow, I'm so sorry
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) lol...he said "photo of my crack"....hee hee
by toulouse2k / July 18, 2006 2:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Photo of my crack
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) What is next? Photo of my dongle?? lol
by cardsbb9 / July 18, 2006 7:42 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I'm a she, thanks very much
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I Emailed nintendo, and i'm still waiting for a reply..
by daniel_mad / July 18, 2006 3:19 PM PDT
In reply to: NOOO!!
Collapse -
Problem solved.. maybe

I called Nintendo today and put on my best sad little kid voice and they offered to send me a new one right away with a shipping label and I can ship them my old one as soon as I get it for five bucks and that this offer is only valid for repairs for the crack in the left hinge.

I took it, except I'm kind of worried because they said they can't guarantee that it would be brand new so we'll see what happens

Collapse -
Just looked at my son's...
by dipdog21 / July 18, 2006 11:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Problem solved.. maybe

and it had like the same exact crack on it. What number did you call?
jc

Collapse -
Never mind
by dipdog21 / July 18, 2006 11:28 AM PDT

I just called the 1800 number and they told me they don't normally cover physical damage and they had not seen this before but they would make an exception since it is so new.
jc

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) no way.. you have to email me back!! i've gatta see thi
by daniel_mad / July 18, 2006 3:21 PM PDT
Collapse -
New unit received today

Wow, overnight shipping to Canada! But I (think) I was right, it's not a completely new system. It didn't come with the GBA slot cover and it has a few grey smudges at the top that I can't get rid of. And it makes a really loud snapping noise whenever I open it. Buuuuut it doesn't have a crack in it!

Collapse -
hooray
by Wii_Fanatic_ / November 13, 2006 12:57 AM PST

I only have a very little crack on mine and i mean very little you wouldnt notice it if you havent been staring at my ds for a couple of mins so mine is good for now..... Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.