Speakeasy forum

Rant

Drug costs $$$$$

by Willy / October 6, 2014 4:24 AM PDT

I caught alittle of the 60min. the other night. If that doesn't put some perspective of the topic of medical costs or on the topic, drug costs, Holy Toledo.

It really touched on one drug that costs well over $90k for 1-yr. dosage use. Man, who makes this drug and they well, like over $35B, Noviatas(sp) for some cancer . Even with insurance it basically outrageous and yeah the commercial system at work here but anywhere else in the world, they negotiate the cost down or more important within reason, IMHO.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/matthewherper/2014/10/05/60-minutes-just-attacked-high-drug-prices-heres-what-you-should-know/?partner=yahootix

Heaven help us from getting sick, even with insurance, because most of that is roughly 80% covered, guess who pays the difference. ------Willy Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Drug costs $$$$$
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Drug costs $$$$$
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try the venom antidote cost for snake bites. 143,000 dollars
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 6, 2014 8:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Drug costs $$$$$
Collapse -
Medical costs is why there is so much bankrupcy.
by Diana Forum moderator / October 6, 2014 9:15 AM PDT

The 90K drug used to be 30K a year but another one came out that was virtually identical and it was over 90K a year so this drug company raised their price as well.

The drug companies had the politicos in D.C. in their pockets when they came up with Medicare. Every other insurance company negotiates with the drug companies. Medicare, by law, cannot. They just have to pay what the drug companies demand.

Diana

Collapse -
Yes, very true
by Willy / October 6, 2014 12:45 PM PDT

That point was brought up and again, the Drs shown say, its just immoral or darn right no relation to drug costs especially when the drug has already been around for some time, that prices were raised. I recall, where some people that had "elective surgery" like in plastic or even coronary surgeries could leave the country, stay in a hospital hotel and then shuttled to the hospital and recover after surgery. The whole trip, stay and medical procedures together were cheaper than that in the US. These foreign Drs were trained in the USA and were just as capable and had the same procedures if they were done in the US. Profit is one thing but greed is far more a driving force IMO. I fear there will be a day of reckoning and gawd look-out. -----Willy Sad

Collapse -
All very sad, but I've seen there are no
by drpruner / October 13, 2014 9:18 AM PDT

simple answers to the drug cost problem.

Collapse -
I'd be inclined to agree Doug if the problem was as bad
by Rob_Boyter / October 15, 2014 1:18 AM PDT

world-wide. It isn't as bad elsewhere as it is in the US. The US Pharmaceutical Industry is known world-wide for it' predatory pricing. They are also known for allowing some drugs to go out of production while keeping the patents locked up so they can charge more for the replacement drug. Widespread collusion among drug companies on pricing and availability.

Another thing. If Ketamine, a tranquilizing agent is known to have limited usage, and Rohypnol is known to have limited usage, why do pharmaceutical companies, particularly in Mexico, pump it out by the ton? They're not part of The Cartels are they? Or maybe they are, given their pricing and aggressive promotions. One example:
"Got Prostate problems? Try Botox !! "
Why?
"Well we think it can help with an over-active bladder."
But I don't have an over-active bladder, I have Benign Prostatic Hypertrophy, you told me so.
"Well, It's worth a try."
Okay, How much?.
"In Canada, it's $800, and since it isn't covered by the Provincial Plan you have to buy it and pay for the procedure too."
Why?
"Well because the US Pharmaceutical giant charges so much for the drug that Provincial Healthcare doesn't cover it. You see this is a "new" application of the drug, and it is therefore an entirely new license agreement. Therefore Botox which has been around for decades is now licensed at today's prices for this new application."
Okay, I'm a sucker, I'll try it.
About $2000 later. It didn't work.
"What do you mean it didn't work?"
It didn't work. I got one good night's sleep the day of the injection and nothing since. I'm up every half hour and I pee about an ounce at a time. I could measure it in a shot glass with room to spare.
"So we'll see you back again in a year?"
ARE YOU NUTS???
"No, but I've got a new cottage to pay for and the prices in Muskoka are beyond the reach of even doctors."

Almost a true story as told by a friend of mine.

Me? I just suffer in silence.

Rob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.